LB in class 1 Div 2 location ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Is a Hubbell aluminum LB075 LB allowed in a Class 1 Div 2 location with IMC conduit ? Do conduit bodies have to specify they are rated for a class 1 Div 2 location ?

nhee2

Is a Hubbell aluminum LB075 LB allowed in a Class 1 Div 2 location with IMC conduit ? Do conduit bodies have to specify they are rated for a class 1 Div 2 location ?
It depends.

See 501.10(B) for allowed wiring methods. There are some cases where fittings need to be explosionproof in Division 2 - see 501.10(B)(4)

alexfox1986

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi Davebones!

To determine if a particular conduit body is suitable for use in a Class 1 Div 2 location with Intermediate Metal Conduit (IMC), it is necessary to review the product's documentation and the specific requirements of the installation.

Hubbell's LB075 LB conduit body is made of aluminum and is suitable for use with IMC conduit. However, it is important to note that not all conduit bodies are suitable for use in hazardous locations, including Class 1 Div 2 locations.

In general, conduit bodies that are suitable for use in hazardous locations are marked with a rating that corresponds to the type of hazard and the location. For example, the marking may indicate that the conduit body is rated for Class 1 Div 2 or Class 2 Div 2 locations. The marking may also indicate the type of conduit that is compatible with the conduit body.

It is important to follow the requirements of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and other relevant codes and standards for the specific installation. It may also be necessary to consult with a qualified electrician or engineer who is familiar with the installation and the requirements for hazardous locations.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
In general, conduit bodies that are suitable for use in hazardous locations are marked with a rating that corresponds to the type of hazard and the location. For example, the marking may indicate that the conduit body is rated for Class 1 Div 2 or Class 2 Div 2 locations. The marking may also indicate the type of conduit that is compatible with the conduit body.
I don't recall ever seeing any listed for division 2.

nhee2

I don't recall ever seeing any listed for division 2.
i don't recall seeing them marked as suitable either. I don't recall markings on standard condulet fittings, which are suitable for Div 2. 500.8 has requirements for equipment to be marked, I don't believe that would apply to conduit fittings.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
i don't recall seeing them marked as suitable either. I don't recall markings on standard condulet fittings, which are suitable for Div 2. 500.8 has requirements for equipment to be marked, I don't believe that would apply to conduit fittings.
It doesn’t.

For IMC, the relevant Sections are:
  • 501.10(B)(1)(1) with back reference to 501.10(A). This is the general permission to use IMC in Class I, Division 2. Note it doesn’t require specific listing.
  • 342.6 This requires IMC and its fittings to be listed but not specifically for classified locations.
  • 342.10 generally recognizes IMC installations in virtually all occupancies with some restrictions in potential corrosive applications. Classified locations still isn’t mentioned.
  • 500.8(C)(6)(a) generally exempts General Purpose (Ordinary Location) equipment from Classified Location markings that are otherwise acceptable in Class I, Division 2. For you nitpickers, check the definition of equipment in Article 100.
In summary, if the conduit body is otherwise permitted to be used with IMC, it needs no special marking for Class I, Division 2. This basically applies to RMC as well.

So, if the NEC does not specifically require NRTL certification for IMC or RMC in classified locations how are we permitted to use it? Well, they are only required to be listed as IMC or RMC. (See the first bullet above.)

Status
Not open for further replies.