Larson Electronics

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
No, but I see their transit time map - 1 to 5 days across the US. Does that mean they could actually deliver a 600A panel in 5 days? T

The obvious downside would be the lack of different types of breakers and accessories. Not sure how much variety Larson makes.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It looks like their equipment is designed for temporary and portable power use not for normal permanent panels used in buildings.

Don't know anything about the build quality but the pricing is crazy high compared to typical panelboards.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I was talking with an EC a couple of weeks ago about a 2500A external main service disconnect. He told me that the major suppliers are all backed up with orders from their biggest customers who claim slots in their manufacturing pipeline for assembled and listed switchgear, but the same manufacturers can fill orders for components to other manufacturing houses who can build what are basically the same pieces of gear. Is Larson one of those?

Todd0x1

I've always wondered about this place. They have an interesting selection of equipment and it is all extremely expensive for what it is. Do they exist to supply the govt?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I've always wondered about this place. They have an interesting selection of equipment and it is all extremely expensive for what it is. Do they exist to supply the govt?
Usually the niche filled by manufactures like this is for spec gear, ie where a large end user has specific needs and design requirements that the major mfrs can’t really cater to because it would interrupt their manufacturing processes that are set up for high volume production. Years ago I used to do a lot of work for Boeing, they had detailed specs on what they wanted in their panelboards that the big 4 were unable to address in a reasonable way. So we had to buy everything from a smaller company called IEM who built them exactly as Boeing wanted them.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I'm going to be getting a quote from them. I'll keep everyone posted what I get back.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I'm going to be getting a quote from them. I'll keep everyone posted what I get back.
Yea, I kind of wonder if an actual quote would be more reasonable.

Kind of like the prices in the Square D catalog are list prices, and really don't mean anything.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It looks like their equipment is designed for temporary and portable power use not for normal permanent panels used in buildings.

Don't know anything about the build quality but the pricing is crazy high compared to typical panelboards.
Yes, I don't quite get this, but it looks like they are listed to UL 1640.

in contract, an Iline panelboard is listed to UL 50 and UL 67, as well as some other standards.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yea, I kind of wonder if an actual quote would be more reasonable.

Kind of like the prices in the Square D catalog are list prices, and really don't mean anything.
Years ago, “list” prices in catalogs were intended to be what a contractor would charge an end user, because it covered the contractor’s markup and that of the distributor, with higher discounts for larger volumes or order sizes. Most mfrs went away from that concept in the end of the 2000s though, opting for what they called “matrix pricing”, supposedly because it meant the pricing of each item was based on the sales volume of that individual item across the entire country. I always joked that it was because the pricing became something you only saw “in the Matrix”.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
I ordered and installed a few sets of buck/boost transformers in our lab recently to buck 480 to 440 to simulate shipboard power to our equipment. Quality seems ok. I really don't have any complaints. Everything is potted in the enclosure so there's not much to see. I wouldn't hesitate to order from Larson again.

Status
Not open for further replies.