Landscape Lighting Fixture and Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

I think somehwre is Article 402 or 401 it states that the fixture wiring shall not be used as branch circuit conductors. Does this apply to low voltage fixtures as well? In other words, does the low voltage fixture need to come equipped with a whip or can we homerun the wiring from the fixture back to the transformer without a splice?

Also, if the wiring is insalled in conduit can we use XHHW or RHW wiring?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Landscape Lighting Fixture and Wiring

Cvirgil, there is nothing NEC wise that would require this wiring to be different than any other wiring in chapters 1 through 4, so in other words, yes to both of your questions.

If you use XHHW or RHW you would have to make a splice wouldn't you? :confused:

The only place I am aware of that would have some similar requirement would be wet niche pool fixtures.

Roger

[ November 23, 2003, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

cvirgil467

Re: Landscape Lighting Fixture and Wiring

A splice would not necessarily be necessary. You could just terminate at the wiring block.

UL 1838 (Standard for Landscape Low voltage Lighting) calls for to use SPT-3 listed wiring from the fixture to transformer. Ths would conflict with the requirement in 401 or 402 which states that the fixture wiring cannot be used as the branch circuit wiring. SPT-3 wiring has a larger diameter than if we pulled individual RHW or XHHW wiring saving us the expense of going with a larger conduit. The reason for using conduit is because the fixtures and wiring will be installed in concrete. I know of no flexible cables that are listed to be installed in concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.