Lamp Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWankan

New User
Occupation
Teacher
This is a question from a grossly uninformed person just trying to build a hobby piece, so forgive my lack of knowledge and be ready to answer a really simple question (I hope). I'm trying to build a lamp. I'm using a weird-shaped bottle as a light manipulator and as a decorative base for the lamp. I have a halogen bulb and socket assembly, a dimmer switch, and a plug. When I first got the lamp socket, I connected to the plug wire and plugged it in to make sure it works. Everything was good there. I then received the dimmer switch, which (according to the documentation of both the lamp socket and the switch) should be compatible with the type of light I'm working on, but unfortunately, the wires coming off of it were both black. I did some research, and I found some websites suggesting that if there's writing on one of the two wires, that should be the neutral wire. I hooked that up to the neutral on the lamp and the plug, and when I plugged it in, I got a spark and a pop. It didn't ruin the lamp or the bulb, but now I'm paranoid about re-attaching the switch. Should I just switch the wires I'm attaching at the switch, or is there another problem? I attached the switch at the same junction I attached the lamp and plug wire. Should I separate the three items somehow, like put a length of wire in between one of them and the others in some way? I had some images to simplify, but this forum won't let me insert a google drive image, so sorry.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.