Knockout Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Do they just take practice, or what? lol...because I used one today for the first time, and I just couldn't get it to work very well...it was pretty cool, though. :D But then I heard this snapping nooise, and it came outta the hole...and I thought I broke it. :D lol because I didn't see the cutter, and I heard a snapping and crackinling noise right before it came out. :D

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Knockout Cutters

Midget, there is a plethora of Knock out Cutters on the market. There are the typical wrench type, ratchet, hand ram hydraulic, electric hydraulic, slug busters, etc..., all of these require drilling a hole to start with.

There is a hydraulic "C" punch that does not require drilling a hole, these are not real common in most tool arsenals though.

Roger

electricmanscott

Originally posted by midget:
because I used one today for the first time, and I just couldn't get it to work very well
Nothing is ever easy the first time. Just ask Captain Smith of the RMS Titanic. :eek: Practice, practice, practice.

[ January 04, 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Not much to make one work or even get used to. Drill a hole for the screw, take the punch apart, put screw through the hole with the die, screw the cutter on the other side (HOPEFULLY the right way!!) and turn the screw with a wrench or socket. As the cutter is drawn through the metal you should hear two snaps which means that both sides of the cutter are through. You then can withdraw the punch through the hole. Don't forget to take the punch apart and remove the slug (unless it's a slug buster).

Your problems might be because of no lubrication on the screw which would make it turn hard or you had the cutter on backwards. :eek: It actually will work just not very well or easily.

-Hal

[ January 04, 2005, 09:56 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

shocker3218

I always go past the point of hearing the 2 snapsand draw the stud tight. This aids in the removal of the slug from the punch.

midget

No, Jim, it wasn't metal studs...I wanted a 1/2" K/O in the side of this cabinet to run some flex into, so I didn't have to pull switch legs for some lights back up, and threw EMT that went into the gutter, then threw some flex into the cabinet, because that would have met stuff was packed with wires. :) Why couldn't I have just drilled a hole instead of using the cutter? Would that have not worked? Or just not been as clean or what?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

We use Blair Holecutters for 1" and smaller. Not as expensive as Unibits, and these have a shoulder that prevents deep entry into the enclosure that you are drilling into. In my opinion drilling conduit enties of these sizes is much more cost effective than using a knock out punch.
Don

[ January 05, 2005, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: don_resqcapt19 ]

jimwalker

I use my unibit often.actually i carry 3 with me.The hole saw is fine too but often cuts a sloppy hole.Choice is yours.A knock out set is sometimes needed too so you should have both.Each job is differant.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Jim,
The hole saw is fine too but often cuts a sloppy hole.
That is the big difference between the Blair holecutters and the hole saws that most electricians use. The hole from the Blair looks as clean as one done with a KO punch.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.