Kitchen Peninsula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
For years I have read article 210.52(C)(2)&(3) and have wondered why we never got red tagged for the lack of outlets on a peninsula. As I, and this author, read the article there should be an outlet as shown to the right of the range on the peninsula. The peninsula is from the connecting edge---but I have never installed one there since the one on the wall was sufficient.

I am curious if others get red tagged for this and if they read this section as we do. It seems absolutely ridiculous IMO to require one there

ry%3D400

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The connecting edge is shown in the wrong place in that drawing. The dashed line should be lowered ninety degrees from where it is shown and running left to right.

I disagree, but I have no idea what you are trying to say. The connecting edge is where the peninsula connects t the base cabinet and that is what is shown

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The connecting edge is where the peninsula connects to the wall.

That is not how it is normally interpreted. The problem is they don't give us anything except connecting edge. Why even mention connecting edge if it is the wall. It would be unnecessary

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Peninsula begins at connecting edge, two separate spaces are created, requires two receptacles.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well do you want a reason why you have never failed an inspection for this or not?

I know the reason. The inspectors don't consider it necessary, at least I think that is it. I was curious if others installed 2 or not or if it is just a local thing. IMO that first one off the connecting edge is worthless and much harder to find a good place to install it.

iwire

Staff member
I will say this, if I bought a new home and I could not put an appliance anywhere on the counter and have it reach an outlet I would not be satisfied with the electrician.

wrobotronic

I usually ask questions on here, but I will try giving it a shot for an answer.

If the distance to the stove edge from the wall recept is less than two feet then an additional recept is not needed. But in order to maintain the correct spacing as stated in 210.52c1 and the space is more than two feet, a recept would be required next to the stove top yes?

Not sure if I helped or not...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I usually ask questions on here, but I will try giving it a shot for an answer.

If the distance to the stove edge from the wall recept is less than two feet then an additional recept is not needed. But in order to maintain the correct spacing as stated in 210.52c1 and the space is more than two feet, a recept would be required next to the stove top yes?

Not sure if I helped or not...

Spacing does not apply to peninsulas. If there were only 2' to the wall then the range would be up against the base cabinet

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I will say this, if I bought a new home and I could not put an appliance anywhere on the counter and have it reach an outlet I would not be satisfied with the electrician.

No question but one on the end and the one on the wall should cover it. The problem I see is where do you install the outlet on the peninsula when it isn't on the end? The back side of the cabinet would not make sense since you would have to walk around to plug anything in and the front would be difficult to design one in. I could see a dead space at the connecting edge.

iwire

Staff member
No question but one on the end and the one on the wall should cover it.

I disagree, appliance cords are 24" that means I could not place an appliance just to the right of the stove in that graphic without an outlet there.

The problem I see is where do you install the outlet on the peninsula when it isn't on the end? The back side of the cabinet would not make sense since you would have to walk around to plug anything in and the front would be difficult to design one in. I could see a dead space at the connecting edge.

I agree difficult.

wrobotronic

No question but one on the end and the one on the wall should cover it. The problem I see is where do you install the outlet on the peninsula when it isn't on the end? The back side of the cabinet would not make sense since you would have to walk around to plug anything in and the front would be difficult to design one in. I could see a dead space at the connecting edge.

How bout putting one in the counter top itself... A pop up GFCI perhaps? The granite people would have to cut the hole for it of course, but I have seen it done...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
How bout putting one in the counter top itself... A pop up GFCI perhaps? The granite people would have to cut the hole for it of course, but I have seen it done...

Personally I think they are ugly and expensive.

The problem is if the peninsula was 8' or 10' long with no break in it then only one receptacle would be needed

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have never been called on it but IMO we need one between the stove and the wall.

However, if the stove top was butted against the base cabinet, (stove was the connecting edge) then IMO a receptacle is not required.

The way I look at this is the stove creates two surfaces. When an stove top or sink creates two surfaces two receptacles are required. 210.52(C)(4)

wrobotronic

I must say I have learned something here. The consideration of the peninsula being 8' or 10' and thus only needing one recept but the stove making it two spaces, "I can see clearly now, the rain is gone". In my mind, I was not envisioning the peninsula but a countertop with wall. I feel like a buffoon... Sorry boot that. But yes I agree the sub-counter recepts are not very aesthetically pleasing but as an HO and not a sparky, I'm thinking I would like to have them. Idk...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I have never been called on it but IMO we need one between the stove and the wall.

However, if the stove top was butted against the base cabinet, (stove was the connecting edge) then IMO a receptacle is not required.

The way I look at this is the stove creates two surfaces. When an stove top or sink creates two surfaces two receptacles are required. 210.52(C)(4)

Thanks for answering the question. I know 2 receptacles are required but I was more curious how many of you guys get called on it or install 2.

The peninsula has a range with a 10" cabinet on the left and you still would not need a second receptacle. The base cabinet dimension does not come into play

Status
Not open for further replies.