Kitchen counter outlets (receptacles) on a switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
Guys, I have a customer that is requesting we put all the kitchen counter receptacles on a switch. I thought they always had to be hot and I didn't think NEC code allowed that but I wanted to ask to make sure. is that permitted by code? if so, are there any stipulations to doing it?

Let me know.

Thanks
Joe

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
210.52(2) prohibits that unless you have enough non-switched receptacles to be in compliance with the the requirements of 210.52(C).

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
210.52(2) prohibits that unless you have enough non-switched receptacles to be in compliance with the the requirements of 210.52(C).
I still don’t see it. Probably missing something somewhere...

210.52(2) says in addition to 210.70(A)(1) exception 1, which states other than kitchens etc and pertains to lighting.

So as long as there is a switch to control the kitchen lighting, why can’t the required additional receptacles required in 210.52(C) be on an additional switch?

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator
what is the code section where it says that a receptacle has to be half hot in order to be counted towards code required receptacles to neet spacing requirements?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

210.52(2) says in addition to 210.70(A)(1) exception 1, which states other than kitchens etc and pertains to lighting.

So as long as there is a switch to control the kitchen lighting, why can’t the required additional receptacles required in 210.52(C) be on an additional switch?
Yes the section is poorly written and can be read differently. The substantiations and panel comments indicate that the intent is that the required receptacle outlets always have power, but the language does not match up.

joecalvin

Occupation
Purchasing / Estimator

I actually agree with him, but there is a code section that outlines that a receptacle must be half hot to count towards the code required plugs. Just need to know what code section that is in.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Guys, I have a customer that is requesting we put all the kitchen counter receptacles on a switch.
It's going to have to be more than one switch unless that one switch is controlling a contactor. There are a minimum of two circuits for small appliances. I've seen kitchens with four.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Plus it's gonna play havoc with all the built in clocks in appliances..... :LOL:
But, that is not your concern, it is the owner's concern.

And if you put the refrigerator on the SABC, oh well.;) I never do, and I try to put it not on a GFCI, depends on code cycle/placement.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I actually agree with him, but there is a code section that outlines that a receptacle must be half hot to count towards the code required plugs. Just need to know what code section that is in.
The section that I cited is the only one that comes close to saying you can't do this. I am not aware of any other code section that would apply here.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How about a 2p switch?
It it is marked for 2 circuit operation, that is fine (assuming you are permitted to switch these receptacles). The UL Guide Information for Snap Switches (WJQR) says this:
Multi-pole, general-use snap switches have not been investigated for more than single-circuit operation unless marked "2-circuit" or "3-circuit."

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
210.52(2)
If I remember correctly this code change came from one of our moderators.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
Yes the section is poorly written and can be read differently. The substantiations and panel comments indicate that the intent is that the required receptacle outlets always have power, but the language does not match up.
Could you post a copy or link to the substantiations and comments?

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
My reading of 210.52(B) would indicate that the 2 required 20A SABC would have to be unswitched given the exception #1 specifically allows for the addition of switched receptacle(s) from a general purpose branch circuit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
My reading of 210.52(B) would indicate that the 2 required 20A SABC would have to be unswitched given the exception #1 specifically allows for the addition of switched receptacle(s) from a general purpose branch circuit.
That allowance is likely to allow for under-cabinet lighting or other non-SABC usage.

But, does that mean any switched receptacle can not be considered a required receptacle?

Must every switched receptacle be considered a lighting outlet?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
210.52(2)
If I remember correctly this code change came from one of our moderators.
I addressed 210.52(2) above in post #5.
basically once I follow it around it says receptacles half hot for lighting.
But I can’t find anything that says these outlets can not be switched.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
That allowance is likely to allow for under-cabinet lighting or other non-SABC usage.

But, does that mean any switched receptacle can not be considered a required receptacle?

Must every switched receptacle be considered a lighting outlet?
That is not what I read (ie switched receptacle for garbage disposal), but the 2 SABC receptacles are not general purpose receptacles as required for the exception to be used.
Undercab lights I would not consider a receptacle outlet and I would have them on the lighting circuit.
Not sure why you'd want every receptacle switched in first place, split switched receptacles can raise havoc with the GFCI that is required by 210.8(A)(6) for countertop receptacles.

Status
Not open for further replies.