Junction box or sub panel; moving service panelboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

five.five-six

the long and the short of it is that the POCO wants the service moved on a remodel I am working on. I was going to replace a zinsco 100 amp with a 200 amp Eaton. My question is: should I replace the zinsco with a can and use it as a junction box or replace it with a sub panel fed from the main panelboard?

user 100

the long and the short of it is that the POCO wants the service moved on a remodel I am working on. I was going to replace a zinsco 100 amp with a 200 amp Eaton. My question is: should I replace the zinsco with a can and use it as a junction box or replace it with a sub panel fed from the main panelboard?

Either way is fine. The important thing here is that the zinsco is biting the dust. The bcs run from jb to new panel board is in a lot of cases cheaper, but that is going to depend alot on exactly how far the poco wants that service moved-where is the existing panel located?

Last edited:

growler

If you can I would use the sub panel idea. If you don't extend the circuits then AFCI protection is not required.

user 100

If you can I would use the sub panel idea. If you don't extend the circuits then AFCI protection is not required.

Very good point, growler. Alot of ahjs will provide some leeway in the afci reqs for reups, but if they don't then I agree: by all means go with that subpanel-less $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.