junction box behind drawer in kitchen

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

I am confused on the assessible/readily accessible problem I believe. I am trying to find out if its code compliant to install a junction box behind a drawer in a kitchen. Access to the junction box would be possible if you take out the drawer. It wouldn't be easily accessible, with the drawer removed, but it would be accessible.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds accessible to me:

Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure
or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building. (CMP-1)

difowler1

On a safety standpoint, I have tried to avoid it. I figure people will overfill their kitchen drawers with knives and forks and slam the drawer shut murdering any wiring coming out of the junction box. But I guess it not being a good idea doesn't mean its against code.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is strictly my opinion, but aside from being "accessible" it should also be "serviceable". That means if you had to work on that JB you should be able to work on it with both hands. If you're pulling out a drawer you probably are only able to fit one hand in at a time. Some people may have a knack for doing that but not everyone does and it creates an unsafe condition IMHO.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Junction boxes I put in an attic twenty years ago are no longer accessible to me, let alone serviceable.
Were they accessible when you put them in ? If someone came along and covered them up that's not your problem IMHO. I hope I interpreted your post correctly.

retirede

On a safety standpoint, I have tried to avoid it. I figure people will overfill their kitchen drawers with knives and forks and slam the drawer shut murdering any wiring coming out of the junction box. But I guess it not being a good idea doesn't mean its against code.

Even without a junction box, if you have exposed wiring that can be damaged by knives in a drawer, you have a violation.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
A junction box behind a removable drawer is probably more accessible than a receptacle behind a garbage disposal, which happens all the time

mwm1752

Or the one behind an upper kitchen cabinet. Only takes a screwdriver to access. :cool:
not if you mean remove upper cabinet
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods).
Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building. (CMP-1)

mwm1752

Were they accessible when you put them in ? If someone came along and covered them up that's not your problem IMHO. I hope I interpreted your post correctly.
I agree it is not the original installers problem if the cover up happened after final inspection. But if someone uncovers the j box to do additional work does not mean it can remain covered or ignored.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
not if you mean remove upper cabinet
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods).
Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building. (CMP-1)
In my opinion, the cabinet is mounted in front of the finish, not a part of it.

The cabinet can be removed and replace without disturbing the wall finish.

How is that so different from a J-box behind any screwed-on access panel?

mwm1752

In my opinion, the cabinet is mounted in front of the finish, not a part of it.

The cabinet can be removed and replace without disturbing the wall finish.

How is that so different from a J-box behind any screwed-on access panel?
1st lets define cabinet(a piece of furniture that may hold dishes, laundry items, can goods and such) removing an access cover is quite different than removing an upper cabinet - that is why it is called an access cover because it's intent is for access. Generally upper cabinets are attached to each other & you would not know if a j box was behind them. Cut a opening for the access cover on the j box & it is compliant - Are you stating an inspector has accepted a mounted cabinet hiding a j box as compliant. Yes we disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.