It shouldn't happen to a dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If it hasn't already it will eventually happen to a child walking barefoot in the summer. I seem to remember an electrocution on an Ohio bridge due to pole lights a few years back.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
A tale from a very long time ago.
We lived on a farm. Now and again we needed to isolate a few cows. For that purpose we had a temporary electric fence, just two strands was enough to keep the few beasts in captivity. Of course I had to test it - maybe I was destined to be an electrical engineer! Anyway, as long as you used a firm grip on the fence you could tolerate the shock otherwise you could have a helluva belt. So I was testing it when my dog came up and nudged my hand. Well, I had welly boots, he had just his paws. He belted off home like a scalded cat and hid under the table. He did forgive me but it needed a few hours.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
If it hasn't already it will eventually happen to a child walking barefoot in the summer. I seem to remember an electrocution on an Ohio bridge due to pole lights a few years back.
So....why isn't the OCPD doing it's job Rog?

~RJ~

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
How?
bad insulation on the wire, wires terminated or spliced and underwater for some reason, light pole energized due to screw run into conductors, or bare wire laying against pole on the inside.
Fusing may or not be there on the light feeder wires.

Why??

Poor maintenance from serving utility on the installations…

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
improper as in inadequate over a longer distance Larry?

~RJ~
I think improper as in none, ground rods only. MH has had this argument many times over "ground rods only" at light poles with no EGC back to source. Ground resistance too great to create an effective ground fault current path that'll trip the breaker. All it ends up doing is energizing the area around the short. See Mike's video on the subject, people have gotten killed by this.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
So....why isn't the OCPD doing it's job Rog?

~RJ~
In the Ohio case I think I remember it was the lack of an EGC Stef and it was common through out the city. The installation was performed by utility workers.

As far as your questions to Fred, many municipal installations are not performed by EC's and not inspected at all.

Roger

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
the vid has ConEd claiming it's not their install

so who would a major municipality contract lighting of sidewalks to, other than an EC?
Since when are EC's prohibited from letting apprentices, or laborers in training, run service trucks to do electrical?

As long as employers have the license, GL insurance, and lawful-training programs, no law forces employers to leave the office, or titty bar, or personally supervise their labor exploits.

Track-home developers and their general-contractor laborers have wired homes this way for years. So why can't utility subcontractors layoff the risk of unskilled labor on their GL policies?

The only thing that's changed is insurance companies crying about spreading the liability around, and writing themselves into fire codes as "Insurance inspectors" during the claims process.

See NFPA-70 90.4
Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJ)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
the vid has ConEd claiming it's not their install

so who would a major municipality contract lighting of sidewalks to, other than an EC?

~RJ~
Don't know, could be the water department or the curb and gutter people. If you remember the electrocution at a fair in Ohio a while back I don't think an electrician was involved. I'm not throwing off on Ohio, it is a common problem all over AFAIK.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.