Island recpt

Status
Not open for further replies.

joel hall

I was wondering how to get out of putting a recpt on the side of an island in the kitchen,it is flat on the top,owner of the house does not want one because of cords over the sides and children pulling on them possibly getting hurt

the inspector said i must put one!!

any suggestions

B

bthielen

Re: Island recpt

What is riskier, the cord over the sides or an extension cord from the island to a receptacle on the wall somewhere??? Is there some way that a receptacle could be flush-mounted or recessed on the surface of the island counter top or would spillage become an issue?

Just a thought.

Bob

txsparky

Couldn't you run the wire, install the box and receptacle, and then the homeowner remove the receptacle after the final, cap off the wiring, and install a blank plate? Seems easy enough. This way, if this owner sells the house and the next buyer wants the receptacle there, the wiring is already in place.

Donnie

earlydean

If Plugmold is used, a short section could be mounted unobtrusively just below the lip of the countertop of the island or peninsula. Tell the owner, if he doesn't want cords hanging over, don't use it.
If there is a cabinet above, a receptacle could be mounted above, so long as it was within 20 inches from the countertop.

G

406.4(E) does not permit face-up countertop receptacles.

406.4(E): Receptacle Mounting. Receptacles in Countertops and Similar Work Surfaces in Dwelling Units. Receptacles shall not be installed in a face-up position in countertops or similar work surfaces.
Putting it below the counter is a hazard for kids, but it's not prohibited.

A monument (AKA tombstone; pedestal) receptacle is one way to go. Ugly, but safe & effective.
...Kitchen Peninsular and Island Counter Receptacle Placement by W. Creighton Schwan, P.E...

joel hall

Thanks,the safty issue is if crock pots and such that may be used,on the counter also the edge of the top is over 6 inches on three sides,the back has drawers for storage and doors in the middle,tombstone may be the answer,they do not look good though,this island was added after the rough-in the house has a finished basement so not going to be real easy guess i may ask the owners to remove until final inspection.

thanks Joel

tonyi

If the owner is adamant, I agree with Ty - don't nail down the island. Tile under it and make it movable/shovable.

If it isn't fixed down, then its just furniture.

pierre

If they are so concerned with plugging in a crock pot, what about the other counter space in the kitchen? or are crock pots prohibited there :D
There are plenty of good ideas here how to avoid a receptacle, but if it is permanent, install it.
BTW - if there are cabinets within 20 inches above the island, you are required to install the receptacle there first [210.52(C)(5) exception (b)]. You can still install the one below the countertop, but that would not meet the minimum code.

Pierre

joel hall

Well all other counter space will not have cords hanging over the sides,recpts are in the walls and i know if they live there they should be responsible and make sure that no such cooking equiptment at that island

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

I like ty`s idea,if not fastened in place then there is no Receptacle required.But i guess this is a custom kitchen with granite tops.A few years ago we did a home for the Stienbrenner family in Tampa(they own the yankees)and they had this tremendious kitchen,with elaborate wood work.They didn`t want anything in the knee wall.the AHJ said i dont care who you are you have to have them
as long as it is fastened in place so kudos to the wheel makers LOL
Allen

inspector 102

Could the receptacle be placed inside a lower cabinet behind the door in a handy box. I believe the code allows this type of installation if the overhang is less than 6" and the receptacle is not greater than 12" below the countertop. This would create an accessible receptacle that complies with the code but removes it from a traffic path that might be caught by a person walking by. Code Ref. 210.52(C)(5)

big john

Joel Hall,

If they are worried about hanging cords then they don't have to plug anything in there! It's not your responsibility to have to protect these people from themselves.

We're here to do the job right, and part of the right job is doing it by the books.

-John

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I agree with Big John, but for a different reason: the next owner might want to use it. Also, the code has no exceptions that permit you to leave it out. So install it, and suggest to the owner that he could buy a plastic ?child-proof? insert, if he wants to prevent it from being used.

joel hall

Thanks everyone for your thoughts,if I had looked at some past topics I would have seen that this has been discussed before.
Thanks again I think I will install the recpt and let them decide if they want to use it or not

Joel

G

Joel is there an upper cabinet above the island that is 20" of less from the countertop per 210.52(C)(5)? If so, that would be the preferred place for the receptacle. That way the cord would not be dangling over the side of the island. Also, it sounds like there's no good place to put the receptacle in your situation as your overhang exceeds 6"-- unless you can hang it on the side that has an overhang less than 6" per 250.52(C)(5) Exception.

Plug mold under the lip would also give the least amount of cord to grab onto if you have to put the receptacle below the countertop.

If there is no upper cabinet within 20" you might also consider putting in a column from the island to the ceiling. Hang a receptacle in the column. It could end up being a useful & decorative feature if done tastfully.

[ November 20, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

Status
Not open for further replies.