Is this main leaking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

Is this main leaking? 100 amp older Murray. Has an oil like substance on the factory wires from the main to the bus. Just an age thing?

Attachments

• DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
Just what do you suspect it may be leaking?

My guess is insulation that appears "oily" is having some kind of deterioration going on - may or may not be from external influences, could be heat in the conductor or at a termination is what got it started.

GerryB

Here is another photo of what I may clean up for him if I get the job. As far as I know there is nothing to "leak" from the breaker, that is why I asked. Overall he has a lot going on. The AC box is tapped off the mains. Then to the right of the AC box just out of the picture is a welding outlet tapped off the AC. Above the AC box is another 2 circuit box tapped also off the AC box. One of those bx cables from the upper box is feeding a two circuit fuse box, the other one if feeding another fuse box with about 7 circuits in it. I want to change his panel and get rid of all the small boxes, refeed the other ones from the new panel, etc.

Attachments

• DSCN0655.jpg
    DSCN0655.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
Some of the older insulation had this problem. I don't remember the term for it. Someone here will.
I kind of recall discussion here on same topic, can't remember what the term was either, but something in the plastic is breaking down from what I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.