Is an Exterior Pool Panel "Outlet" per 210.8

Mike Lombardo

Occupation
EC
First off, I'm sorry if this has been posted on here, but I can't find it for the life of me! Regarding 2020+ and 210.8.

Is a 100A exterior pool panel considered an "outlet" as per 210.8?
Is a heat pump wired directly out of this panel considered an "outlet"?

I know 100 says an Outlet is "a point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment."

The entire outdoor panel is not required to be GFCI protected correct? Or is it an "outlet" but does not require GFCI because its more than 50A?
Putting a heat pump on a GFCI breaker is probably easier than even having a discussion about it but is it by itself an outlet?
OR am I missing something altogether?

I'm in NY and we're still on 2017 but I'm really curious and want to be on top of what's right when we do eventually change to 2020 or 2023.

Thanks in advance!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A panel is not an outlet. I don't have a copy of the 2020 or 2023 so I can't answer about GFCI's in those codes. On the 2017, dwelling units don't have to comply with all the requirements for non-dwellings.

Mike Lombardo

Occupation
EC
Awesome, you guys answered my questions exactly. That was what I was leaning towards but it’s great to hear it from folks like you! Very much appreciated @Little Bill and @don_resqcapt19. Thank you for all that you guys do on these forums, I’ve learned A LOT from you guys!

Rjryan

Occupation
Master Electrician
Per Article 100, outlet is defined as: A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment. Receptacles
outlets are outlets, not all outlets are receptacle outlets.
NEC Section 210.8(F) which addresses Class A GFCI protection for all dwelling outdoor outlets supplied by a single-phase branch circuit
rated 150 volts or less to ground, 50 amperes or less.

Article 210 is general and applies to all installations unless modified by other Articles. We get that requirement in Section 90.3.