Intermittent Motor Overload on Start

Occupation
Electrician
I'm pulling my hair out over here. I have a customer with a 200HP 480V dust collector. A 400A branch circuit breaker feeds a NEMA contactor, which then feeds a soft starter. All of the other motor loads and controls are supplied from a separate circuit. About two weeks ago, they started having issues with the 400A circuit breaker tripping when attempting to start the main fan.

I used a power energy logger to record the start attempts, and saw that the curve of the soft starter was very abrupt; it very rapidly reached 780 amps, and maintained that current for about 11 seconds until dropping to 125A after reaching running speed. While starting, there would be significant vibration and noise, which is usually present but much more severe.

Suspecting that the current curve was far too steep, I replaced the soft starter with an updated equivalent and replicated the parameters from the original soft starter. Noise and vibration were even more extreme than before replacing the starter, and the soft starter would internally trip every single time but the branch circuit breaker would not. The 400A breaker has not tripped once since replacing the starter.

I made sure not to exceed the starter's rated 4 starts per hour, and worked my way through the circuit from the 400A breaker all the way to the motor terminal box checking terminals and splices for tightness. I checked resistance through the contacts in the the motor disconnect, and it was fine. Still unable to successfully start the motor, I increased the maximum current limit on the starter to 1000A, and the motor was able to start without tripping. I ran it through several startup cycles before calling it quits, as I felt that it would reliably start when 1st shift came in about three hours later.

I replaced the soft starter on 2/7/2024. I stopped by on 2/13/2024 and the maintenance chief let me know that the main fan had tripped one time for the past two mornings. I bypassed the contactor supplying the soft starter and fed the soft starter directly from the 400A breaker, and logged several start cycles, each of which were fine. When I was disconnecting the conductors that connected to the contactor line terminals, I discovered that one of them was slightly loose. I'm not sure if it loosened over the course of the week or if I had missed properly torquing it when I was replacing the soft starter.

I then reconnected the contactor and logged three more start cycles, which showed no difference from the logs with the contactor bypassed. The plant has two 200HP dust collectors, so I then logged three starts with the other dust collector, which also uses a soft starter. The logs were fairly comparable.

All of the tests that I logged on the problem motor had a gentle current curve that reached about 780A before dropping to 125A. I felt that the loose terminal on the contactor had been the cause of the issue, as the current was reasonable and the noise and vibration were normal.

I just got a phone call today that the soft starter tripped internally again this morning on start up. I looked into the data logs more closely and realized that both 200HP motors have pretty significant current imbalances, despite there only being a very small voltage imbalance. I'm at a bit of a loss as how to next proceed.

Here is the startup of the problem motor with contactor bypassed.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog W 200HP DC Bypass Test3.png

Here's the log of the problem motor with contactor.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog W 200HP DC Contactor Test1.png

Here's the log of the dust collector that is NOT having issues.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog NW 200HP DC Test1.png

Here's running current of the problem motor with contactor bypassed.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog W 200HP DC Bypass FLA.png

Here's the running current of the problem motor with contactor connected.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog W 200HP DC Contactor FLA.png

Here's the running current of the motor that is NOT the problem.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog NW 200HP DC FLA.png

On the graphs of motors at speed, the lines with slight sine waves are current; the flat lines are voltage.

As you can see, both motors are imbalanced, despite the voltage being fairly balanced.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog W 200HP DC Bypass Test1.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-15 Datalog W 200HP DC Bypass Test1.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 9
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
FWIW
Referencing the running currents of I-3=136 and I-2=163 of the motors I suspect that those lines are rotated from each other.
One of the ways to find if the problem is source or load is to rotate the lines. An issue that follows the line change is source. Otherwise, load.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Here is a current unbalance calculation from this site: https://voltage-disturbance.com/power-engineering/current-unbalance-causes-effects-and-protection/

Less than 4% doesn't seem like a problem to me. The site has some good info.

View attachment 2570110
That is a good one. My SS does not take into account the FLA of a motor vs what the current is at time of measurement.
The 341 was my screwup, with NEC value of 240 amps for a 200 HP, the unbalance is even less

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Here's another good info source:

Use the following procedures to assess and correct current unbalance. Current unbalance can be due to the motor or the supply line. To determine the source, arbitrarily label the supply lines A, B, and C — and the motor leads 1, 2, and 3. Then connect A to 1, B to 2, and C to 3, operate the motor, and measure the current in each line. Next, de-energize the motor and connect A to 3, B to 1, and C to 2, operate the motor, and again measure the current in each line.
Ecmweb Com Sites Ecmweb com Files Uploads 2014 11 Table
If the high current and low current readings follow the same line leads, the supply is the cause of the problem. If the high and low readings follow the motor leads, the motor is the source of the problem. This is illustrated in the Table.

Occupation
Electrician
Are the dampers in the system operating as they should? The 300hp we worked with needed the dampers closed at start.
It is an undamped system. Many of the larger machines have blast gates with solenoid valves on their individual collector pipes, but the main trunk has no dampers. However, the system ran fine for many years prior.