Interactive system grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
I took a few courses on solar but Im still a little confused. Does anyone know of some clear pictures of PV grounding bonding for utility interactive systems?

I understand from the roof to the inverter but after the inverter where the disconnect switch is I always am confused about bonding the neutral or not in that disconnect.

I was hoping someone had pics for both line and load side taps dealing with the neutral.

Thanks in advance

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Stop worrying about it. Run an EGC to the equipment like you would with any other circuit and call it a day. That advice should hold unless you're on an outdated code (pre-2017) or using outdated equipment.

NEVER bond an AC neutral in two places. If you're just dealing with the exisiting service then the neutral should already be bonded.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Stop worrying about it. Run an EGC to the equipment like you would with any other circuit and call it a day. That advice should hold unless you're on an outdated code (pre-2017) or using outdated equipment.

NEVER bond an AC neutral in two places. If you're just dealing with the exisiting service then the neutral should already be bonded.
Here is a picture from the Soares grounding book 2020 I just going they think different ugh

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Ok that file is too low resolution but I think they are showing a supply-side connection.

I oversimplified. If you are dealing with multiple service disconnects, you bond the neutral at each service disconnect, where you create the EGC. This was a little unclear in the NEC before the 2020 version but it's now pretty clear.

But still, in other words, for most up-to-date equipment...
Treat it like any other circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.