Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Lets suppose I have a new home being built and the specifications call for a pool. Due to utility location, the service will be on the opposite side of the house as the lighting and appliance panelboard.

I will be placing a pool equipment panelboard at the equipment location served by a feeder from the house lighting and appliance panelboard.

Per 680.25, it appears that I am required to have an insulated grounding conductor and that my wiring method must be a raceway. Also, the main feeder from the outside service disconnect to the lighting and appliance would also have to comply.

I have seen many installations that use SER cable from the service disconnect to the lighting and appliance panelboard, form that point I have also seen NM to the pool equipment. Is this a violation?

stew

Re: Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor

The way I read 680.25(B)(2) it most surely is a violation to use nmc. that section specifically requires an insulated egc. It is ok to use nmc within the house but then the pool feeders have to be in a raceway is my read.They specify rmc,imc,lfnc,emc on or within a building and ent within a building. adjacent to the motor for flexibility liquidtite flex or non metallic flex with approved fittings is ok per 680.21(A)(3). Anyhow just my read. nmc outside of the house is a no no.

Status
Not open for further replies.