Inspector question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Re: Inspector question

Maybe he does not want all those electrons to have to squeeze through a 15 amp breaker? :D

What reason did he give? Code reference?

No violation in your example.

Mike P.

jimwalker

Not only is it legal but some might think it safer given the quality of some lamp cords.
Now if they are SA circuits or dedicated 20 then he is right

jimwalker

small appliance
kitchen ,dining,nook receptacles
Also the bath receptacles are min 20 now

[ January 29, 2004, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

tonyi

I've had to put #10 on a 15A breaker sometimes. Derating and/or voltage drop considerations may call for bigger wire.

donniet

These were just normal 15A circuits, no arc. The builder who told me about this is getting me more specific information on what codes the inspector cited in this case.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The purpose of the OCPD is to protect the cable. A 15 amp breaker can certainly provide adequate protection for a #12. However, you need to make sure the Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) is also a #12. A 15 amp circuit normally requires no more than a #14 for an EGC. But if you increase the size of the phase conductors, you must also increase the size of the EGC. Reference NEC 250.122(B).

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Keep in mind there are four answers to a code question:
1. NEC Answer
2. AHJ Answer
3. Toms Answer
4. Truck answer.

The NEC allows 12 AWG on a 15 A CB, the wire is protected at its ampacity
The AHJ in this case does not
I say you may need to use a larger wire, sometimes for voltage drop, sometimes its for a stronger wire for pulling
And 12AWG is used if thats all you got.

Ask the AHJ to cite you a specific rule.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim, read the the original post closely, the inspector is simply not allowing #12 on a 15 amp breaker.

There is no mention of not allowing a 15 amp circuit.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jim,
Has anyone ever heard of an inspector not allowing 12 wire on a 15 AMP circuit? If so, for what reason???
what does your post (answer) of 2:51 have to do with this thread?

Roger

[ January 30, 2004, 03:51 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jimwalker

Roger,EVERYTHING
Have i heard of it YES
Reason =local rule

Would you have a 20 amp circuit if it had a 15 amp breaker? NO

Would you have a 20 amp circuit if it had a 20 amp breaker? YES

BREAKER IS PART OF THE CIRCUIT

[ January 30, 2004, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

Jim

Look at the definition of circuit breaker. My words: it opens the circuit. It is not part of the circuit. If so how would you AFCI protect an AFCI breaker?

Mike P.

iwire

Staff member

Opening post

Has anyone ever heard of an inspector not allowing 12 wire on a 15 AMP circuit? If so, for what reason???
From Jim
Would you have a 20 amp circuit if it had a 15 amp breaker? NO
Jim, Where does it say anything about a 20 amp circuit?

jimwalker

OK im sorry i miss read. :eek:
So he wanted a 15 amp circuit and used #12 and then the inspector was trying to force him into a 20 amp circuit.OK sorry guys i understand now.Please no eggs

[ January 30, 2004, 05:09 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I think the situation, as originally posted, leaves itself open for several interpretations. Here are three:
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">* The Inspector wanted to force the installer to replace the 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker, and would allow the #12 to remain.

* The Inspector wanted to force the installer to replace the #12 wire with #14 wire, and would allow the 15 amp breaker to remain.

* The Inspector was willing to accept either of the above two choices, but would not allow a 15 amp breaker in the same circuit as a #12 wire.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
In all three of these possible interpretations, the Inspector could not have justified the action on the basis of any NEC requirement.

hillbilly

I'd be really interested in the code numbers if he gives any. You may have to scrape the egg off before you can read them.
steve

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

OK what if like I did a few years ago have a home,192 ft from the panel to the closest wall in the master BR.Owner wanted all panels in the garage 600 amp single phase service.I ran 10 home runs in #10 to this area to supply what was there.The inspector looked at it on rough and all he asked was that I tag the #10 leads with a tag that said 20 amp breaker max.As long as you don`t overate the wire what article is he citing??

Status
Not open for further replies.