Inspector Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

I recall reading a topic on a similar subject some time back but can't seem to locate it.

I understand that every jurisdiction will generally have a set of policies and procedures for how they make inspections and how to determine when to pass, advise, or fail a particular job. I am only looking for opinions.

Here's the question. I will speak from the perspective of the inspector.

You are walking a dwelling rough. You find a issue that merits failure and tag the job. You get called back the next day. The contractor makes the repair to the actual failure, however on the way back out of the house, you see another issue that needs correcting and would normally merit a failure.

A: Do you re-fail the job, even though it was missed the first time around?

B: Do you make an advisory requesting the contractor fix the problem and make a note to check on it on another day.

C: Is there a third option.

ryan_618

Re: Inspector Policy

C) It depends on what it is. If it something small like re-identifying a white traveller or an overfilled box, I walk past it. If it was something bad, like an illegal tap, I would write it up and write down an apology for missing it the first time.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I like Ryan?s answer. Your first responsibility is to be the guardian of safety. Your second responsibility is to be courteous. Don?t let anything get in the way of that order of priorities.

sandsnow

You also have an option of letting them proceed on the rest of the job and also call you back tomorrow to see the corrx is made (leave that portion of the wall open). IF, it warrants another look. That way both parties get what they need. I work in a small geographic area, so sometimes it is possible for me to come back the same day. Or if it's something they can fix in a short time, just hang around if it's a rainy day and the calls are light. The apprentice fixes it while the foreman crys on my shoulder about the inspector in a neighboring city.

I agree w/ Ryan re: small type violations do not warrant a failure. I do point it out because it is approval by omission. If you don't mention it, then you can get the "Well it passed on the last house" line.

msd

Ryan-618
I walk past it
Please clarify what you do:
(A) Ignore the violation because you missed it yesterday
or
(B) Sign the inspection card, bring the violation to the electricians atention, and mandate that he correct the "small violation" post signature.

There might be another option for you to choose from, but I'm pretty sure that you are going to choose (B).

ryan_618

I would walk right past it. In all honesty though, I probably wouldn't see one unless it was bad, becasue on a re-inspection I am just looking at the items I called out on the first inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.