Inground Pool Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenosha

Everyone seems to dance around the issue of what to do with pool bonding when you have equipment at a remote location. Pool bonding according to my understanding and the actual code requirement is to "eliminate voltage gradients in the pool area" and is not intended to apply to a remote area as indicated in the fine print note. This is why in the 2005 the wording was changed to "Equipotential Bonding" to try to clarify the confusion that exists. The pool bonding is for the immediate pool area only and doesn't extend to the equipment if at a remote location.

jwelectric

Re: Inground Pool Bonding

680.26 Equipotential Bonding.
(A) Performance.

(B) Bonded Parts.
(1) Metallic Structural Components.
(2) Underwater Lighting.
(3) Metal Fittings.
(4) Electrical Equipment.
(5) Metal Wiring Methods and Equipment

(C) Equipotential Bonding Grid. The parts specified in 680.26(B) shall be connected to an equipotential bonding grid

pierre

Actually if the equipment is remotely located, it will be required to be bonded if it is on the list in 680.26.
I just took some pictures the other day of a heater and pool pump that are about 30 feet from the pool and are bonded to the grid.

Kenosha

680.26(A) FPN indicates the #8 is not required to be extended to a remote panelboard, service equipment or any electrode. It also indicates in the text that the bonding is in the pool area only
and does not mention extending to a remote location.

dana1028

1. FPN are not part of the code, just 'for-your-information' types of comments.
2. The language of this FPN is to let installers/inspector know that the bonding conductor is not required to terminate in a panelboard...the purpose of this bonding is to eliminate voltage gradients; thus terminating in a panelboard is not necessary.
3. 'in the pool area' - I certainly consider a circulating pool pump motor 30 ft. away as being 'in the area'.
4. The language in 680.26(B) spells out specifically those components mandated to be bonded together. You could argue that 'in the pool area' is open to interpretation; you cannot argue about which components must be bonded together because the code spells them out for you.

Kenosha

Now I can see where all the misunderstanding is and why the code change for 2005. We are NOT bonding we are creating an equipotential grid. I think it would be impossible to touch the remote pool equipment unless it is in the pool area. The whole idea is to reduce touch potential to a metal part when exiting the pool area. Why would you want to take any possible stray voltage out to the pool area when you have a grounding electrode system at the remote pool equipment location by connection to the electrical service equipment.

hess

it's not only for touch potential, it is also to eleminate any dielectric possobilities.

Kenosha

I think the code needs to make more clarifications reguarding this. I still am not sure how a pump motor that has a sealed pump made out of plastic material can become energized.

hess

i dont know what you are talking about,dont know what type of inspector you are but i hope it is not a electrical inspector.because the code is pretty clear ,its not to be use as a learning tool. if it was it would have a explantion of why it is wrote like that.

Kenosha

If it was clear they wouldn't have to make changes to the article we are talking about. My point is the language should not say pool AREA if they intend it to extend beyond that. The pump motor is actually bonded to the pool area through the equipment ground which is run with the pool lighting and pool cover motor which in turn go to the control panel. I think the last paragraph in 680.26(B)(4) talks about this type of connection. If the stray voltage they are worried about comes from the motor the equipment ground should take care of that same way as with gas piping being bonded through the equipment ground for furnaces.

hess

1st of all a FPN print not is not enforceable, its just a reference.
if you read 680.24 you will see that if you have any egc connected to the pool bonding grid. you must bond the circulating pumps or electric heaters or other electrical devices that are associated to the pool circulating system, back to the pool bonding grid even if they are remote to the pool.
now if egc does not connected to the pool bonding grid, then you would not extent the pool bonding grid to other electrical equipment if they are located remote from the pool.
now when i am talking about egc connected to the pool bonding grid, that would be through the pool light or an electric pool cover or ect..

hey_poolboy

I know this doesn't help now, but I have the opportunity to attend the IAEI meeting in our area in May. I plan to attend a seminar that they are having in regard to pool bonding. If I find anything useful I will be sure to post it.

Kenosha

We all agree that an equipotential grid needs to be installed at the pool. The only thing we dont agree on is where it has to be taken to from there. My thought is that the connection to equipment ground at the pool light and pool cover motor should be sufficient to establish the equipotential plane to the pool.

Kenosha

Not that I want to change the subject but why is there no concern about above ground fiberglass pools? There is no bonding grid requirement and some are as big as inground pools. Am I missing something?

jwelectric

Most above ground pools are less than 42 inches and fall under the requirements of part III of 680. Should the pool have more than 42 inches of water at the maximum fill then it would fall under part II.

jwelectric

Permanently Installed Swimming, Wading, and Therapeutic Pools. Those that are constructed in the ground or partially in the ground, and all others capable of holding water in a depth greater than 1.0 m (42 in.), and all pools installed inside of a building, regardless of water depth, whether or not served by electrical circuits of any nature.

I was in a discussion with a couple of inspectors a couple of weeks ago when we hit on 680.26 and the above ground pool with a wooden deck. After a couple of hours listening to them attaching ground rods to the 4x4 post and bonding a #8 to the decking screws I couldn?t take any more. There was one suggestion of maybe trying to fill the pool with dry water but a way to dry the water couldn?t be reached.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.