Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

Is "Working space" required?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
Does an industrial piece of equipment on a cord and plug with wheels, still require "Working Space"? The electric controls, fusing and incoming power (With a disconnect handle mounted on the front.) goes directly into the cabinet for this equipment and varies from 120V-480V. Would this be an NEC, NFPA or OSHA violation? If there was no disconnect on the cabinet (but still has power), does this still apply?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO, if it is on wheels and readily moved, you can acquire the needed working space by moving it. So, I think you still need the working space, but the working space is not necessarily a fixed location.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
IMO, if it is on wheels and readily moved, you can acquire the needed working space by moving it. So, I think you still need the working space, but the working space is not necessarily a fixed location.
But if you have to move the equipment to gain working space, doesn't that defeat the purpose? Osha states working space shall be provided and "Maintained".
1926.403(i)(1)
Working space about electric equipment. Sufficient access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electric equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Say you have a piece of equipment on wheels. Do you have to maintain the working space while it is in motion being moved? Cause your interpretation would require that.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
Say you have a piece of equipment on wheels. Do you have to maintain the working space while it is in motion being moved? Cause your interpretation would require that.
It not being supplied power vs it being plugged in and operating are two separate things. Why would you need to maintain working space to equipment without power?

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
If you're moving the equipment while it's still plugged in and/or powered on, than yes. I'd imagine maintaining clearance while in motion. Otherwise, without power, it's completely irrelevant.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you're moving the equipment while it's still plugged in and/or powered on, than yes. I'd imagine maintaining clearance while in motion. Otherwise, without power, it's completely irrelevant.
Where does it exempt equipment in motion, or unpowered, from "maintaining" working space? Keep in mind logic does not matter. It is what the rules say that matters.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
Where does it exempt equipment in motion, or unpowered, from "maintaining" working space? Keep in mind logic does not matter. It is what the rules say that matters.

Um, it is exempt where they state, "within access of enclosed live electrical parts" thoughout the code. Now you're just manipulating it to sound like somehow I worded it like we now need clearance for panels we haven't even taken out of the box. Some logic is needed.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Does an industrial piece of equipment on a cord and plug with wheels, still require "Working Space"? The electric controls, fusing and incoming power (With a disconnect handle mounted on the front.) goes directly into the cabinet for this equipment and varies from 120V-480V. Would this be an NEC, NFPA or OSHA violation? If there was no disconnect on the cabinet (but still has power), does this still apply?
It is my opinion that the NEC only applies to "installed equipment" and I do not see cord and plug connected equipment being installed. It is my opinion that nothing in the NEC applies to that equipment.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
It is my opinion that the NEC only applies to "installed equipment" and I do not see cord and plug connected equipment being installed. It is my opinion that nothing in the NEC applies to that equipment.
I understand it's your "Opinion", but your opinion isn't written fact, law or regulation. But, by definition and regulation, your opinion appears wrong.

in·stall
/inˈstôl/
Learn to pronounce
verb
past tense: installed; past participle: installed
place or fix (equipment or machinery) in position ready for use.

If you placed it in position and plugged it in ready for use, you've just "installed" it.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
Plus OSHA in Wisconsin uses the NEC and NFPA as references. NFPA 79 (electrical standard for Industrial machinery), working space is required for industrial equipment (Pretty much the same requirements as the NEC) Nowhere does it state it's exempt because it's on wheels or cord/plugged.

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I understand it's your "Opinion", but your opinion isn't written fact, law or regulation. But, by definition and regulation, your opinion appears wrong.

in·stall
/inˈstôl/
Learn to pronounce
verb

If you placed it in position and plugged it in ready for use, you've just "installed" it.

in·stall
/inˈstôl/
Learn to pronounce
verb

Fine but it remains my opinion that the NEC stops at the outlet.
The official dictionary that the NFPA says is to be used for common terms says:
": to make (a machine, a service, etc.) ready to be used in a certain place"

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
If you plug it in, you've just made it ready in a certain place......

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
If you plug it in, you've just made it ready in a certain place......
They have a specific section for "Industrial machinery" in the NEC which states...."For further information, see NFPA 79" or "For information on the workspace requirements for machine power and control equipment, see NFPA 79" . The NEC tells you to look there for those specific code requirements which list close to the same requirements as the NEC for workspace (besides a lot of the lower voltage control equipment. If we ignore the NEC for industrial equipment, we ignore the NFPA.

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
Also Don, which code book do you reference back to for the motor calculations on such "Industrial Equipment"?

jr2431

Occupation
Electric
This would be a good time to review Charlie’s Rule (of understanding the NEC)
Although I've done rigorous searching, I fail to grasp "Charlies rule". Does this rule imply, "The code states what it states." And is up to interpretation? Or I misread something with my own interpretation without it actually being the real meaning to the code?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Although I've done rigorous searching, I fail to grasp "Charlies rule". Does this rule imply, "The code states what it states." And is up to interpretation? Or I misread something with my own interpretation without it actually being the real meaning to the code?
I think you interpret it the way you think it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.