Implents of Electrical Destruction (IED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirawho

I got finished with a 480 drive panel soooopud late one night, and went to pull the temp feeder cable I had run to the main disconnect in the panel. Our shop didn't have 480v at the time, so we were using a step-up trafo. I was certain I'd killed power to the trafo... I hadn't. Like I said, it was stoooopud late.

The conductors slapped together and in a bright blue flash, all the power in the shop went out. Crappy coordination tripped the main breaker in the electrical vault, which we didn't have access to, instead of the breaker feeding the trafo. It was well past time to go home.

I was lucky the trafo was small so it limited the fault current. I also learned that it's OK to call it a day and pick up tomorrow. Working tired can get you hurt or worse. That cabinet shipped with a silver-dollar-sized deposit of copper on the inside, near the disconnect.

I too was the implement of electrical destruction on that one.

SceneryDriver

This type of thing has taught me never to take anyone's word for it or blindly trust someone. About 30 years ago, we were demoing out some old service disconnects and switches at a warehouse that was being upgraded. I asked my partner if we were good to go. He said yes so I started to bang boxes off of their mounts. Well, I was having trouble getting one off so took a big swing. Underneath the disconnect were some stubs where they had just cut the wiring to get their machinery out of there. All I heard was a loud explosion. Next thing I know I am standing on my feet about 10' away with my deformed hammer in my hand. The temptation was to straighten it out on his head.

mirawho

I got finished with a 480 drive panel soooopud late one night, and went to pull the temp feeder cable I had run to the main disconnect in the panel. Our shop didn't have 480v at the time, so we were using a step-up trafo. I was certain I'd killed power to the trafo... I hadn't. Like I said, it was stoooopud late.

The conductors slapped together and in a bright blue flash, all the power in the shop went out. Crappy coordination tripped the main breaker in the electrical vault, which we didn't have access to, instead of the breaker feeding the trafo. It was well past time to go home.

I was lucky the trafo was small so it limited the fault current. I also learned that it's OK to call it a day and pick up tomorrow. Working tired can get you hurt or worse. That cabinet shipped with a silver-dollar-sized deposit of copper on the inside, near the disconnect.

I too was the implement of electrical destruction on that one.

SceneryDriver

This type of thing has taught me never to take anyone's word for it or blindly trust someone. About 30 years ago, we were demoing out some old service disconnects and switches at a warehouse that was being upgraded. I asked my partner if we were good to go. He said yes so I started to bang boxes off of their mounts. Well, I was having trouble getting one off so took a big swing. Underneath the disconnect were some stubs where they had just cut the wiring to get their machinery out of there. All I heard was a loud explosion. Next thing I know I am standing on my feet about 10' away with my damaged hammer in my hand. The temptation was to finish off the hammer on his head. "I'm Sorry" didn't go too far that day

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
This type of thing has taught me never to take anyone's word for it or blindly trust someone. About 30 years ago, we were demoing out some old service disconnects and switches at a warehouse that was being upgraded. I asked my partner if we were good to go. He said yes so I started to bang boxes off of their mounts. Well, I was having trouble getting one off so took a big swing. Underneath the disconnect were some stubs where they had just cut the wiring to get their machinery out of there. All I heard was a loud explosion. Next thing I know I am standing on my feet about 10' away with my damaged hammer in my hand. The temptation was to finish off the hammer on his head. "I'm Sorry" didn't go too far that day

Agreed. That day, I learned not to trust myself with such little sleep.

SceneryDriver

Status
Not open for further replies.