IECC 2021 - Automatic receptacles Control - Type of Contactor

Volt-Amps

Under the 2021 IECC, receptacles in certain areas have be on automatic control. I'm using a time clock and contactor. My question is: Are all contactors the same? Can a lighting contactor be used to control receptacles? What should I be looking for in a contactor if controlling receptacles or lights?

Thanks for your help

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Typical 3 or 4 pole general-use 20a contactors (called 'definite-purpose' for some reason) are probably the most economical, unless you see fit to use one large contactor to switch a sub-panel.

Multi-pole lighting contactors are expensive, and usually cost more per pole than other types.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
(called 'definite-purpose' for some reason)
No, not the same, but a common misconception.

“Definite Purpose” contactors have only one valid use: as part of an OEM assembly that will itself then be listed by an NRTL (UL, ETL, CSA etc.). If you look, you will see that DP contactors are NOT listed by any NRTL, they have the backward UR symbol, meaning they are UL “Recognized”, which is defined as I said above; only for use in something else that will then be listed as an assembly. So the only valid use of a DP contactor in the field is as direct like-for-like replacement in repairing something. In my opinion, DP should stand for “Don’t Purchase”. I am aware that people put them in all the time as “general purpose” contactors, but technically, it’s a violation every time.

There are plenty of UL listed general purpose contactors out there, but DP are not the same.

fixed typos

Last edited: