I HAVE TO BID ON A 4 STORY TOWNHOME AND ANOTHER BUILDING IS 3 STORY, CAN I USE ROMEX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I'm bidding a 4 story townhome every dividing wall, floor and ceiling are concrete, my question is for the 3 story can I use romex, and how about penetrations for floor to floor can I do pvc or has to be Emt if its the same unit.

The 3 story I have the same question, if it can be done with romex, this type 3,4 and 5 always get me confused.

Please help

Buck Parrish

4X4 1 1/2'' boxes on the block wall with plaster rings.. I use 3/8th one hole straps on the romex. You must stay 1 1/4 away from the furring strips. If you drill them they'll need a nail plate or metal box cover. Pvc sleeves are okay between floors. They make plastic grommets for use with metal studs.. You will have to be creative in some cases. You may install some wood blocking if you have a lot of Home runs going to the same area.

mwm1752

Hello everyone,

I'm bidding a 4 story townhome every dividing wall, floor and ceiling are concrete, my question is for the 3 story can I use romex, and how about penetrations for floor to floor can I do pvc or has to be Emt if its the same unit.

The 3 story I have the same question, if it can be done with romex, this type 3,4 and 5 always get me confused.

Please help

The bulding dept permit should tell you the type - stories has been eliminated fro NEC for some time now - penetrations are based upon the firerating of the building & which assemblies are rated & you would follow a fire assembly for the specific materials used. The GC or architect should be able to assist you on assemblies of call the AHJ & ask. Property lines can be tricky for townhomes which could alter wiring paths -- accessible drop ceilings could be a downfall --

4X4 1 1/2'' boxes on the block wall with plaster rings.. I use 3/8th one hole straps on the romex. You must stay 1 1/4 away from the furring strips. If you drill them they'll need a nail plate or metal box cover. Pvc sleeves are okay between floors. They make plastic grommets for use with metal studs.. You will have to be creative in some cases. You may install some wood blocking if you have a lot of Home runs going to the same area.

Thank you for the info, I done a lot of homes and commercial buildings it just the townhouse, that I have no experience doing townhouse, it's a 4 story townhouse every floor is built with concrete bit will have drywall in ceilings, I just need to figure out if I can use romex inside and penetrations through every floor, I been having headaches thinking of this

Npstewart

Thank you for the info, I done a lot of homes and commercial buildings it just the townhouse, that I have no experience doing townhouse, it's a 4 story townhouse every floor is built with concrete bit will have drywall in ceilings, I just need to figure out if I can use romex inside and penetrations through every floor, I been having headaches thinking of this

What is the construction type of the building? (ie. Type IIB, Type IV) That is usually a good place to start. There are exceptions to going only by the construction type but its simpler if you know that. It usually can be found on the cover sheet of the Architectural drawings.

What is the construction type of the building? (ie. Type IIB, Type IV) That is usually a good place to start. There are exceptions to going only by the construction type but its simpler if you know that. It usually can be found on the cover sheet of the Architectural drawings.

I asked the GC and he did not know, I will have to see the full set of drawings to find out, so far I know it will have fire sprinkles and first floor will be the garage, and roof is concrete

Npstewart

I asked the GC and he did not know, I will have to see the full set of drawings to find out, so far I know it will have fire sprinkles and first floor will be the garage, and roof is concrete

You need the construction type. If the construction type is one where romex is approved, then you are fine to use it. If its not, thats when you get into what the building is made of because it very well still may be allowed.

templdl

I forgot to mention that dividing walls are metal and concrete wall will have furring strip for drywall

Are you depending upon the answers as received here on this forum of the electrical/building codes that are applicable for the construction?
Personally I would opt for knowing what your local codes are a the inspector may not accept that you had based you had based you quote/design based upon the opinions of this forum.
Read and become familiar with you local codes and should you still have questions you could present therm here with reference to the code section on N question.

Are you depending upon the answers as received here on this forum of the electrical/building codes that are applicable for the construction?
Personally I would opt for knowing what your local codes are a the inspector may not accept that you had based you had based you quote/design based upon the opinions of this forum.
Read and become familiar with you local codes and should you still have questions you could present therm here with reference to the code section on N question.

Hi,

I'm not depending on this forum to do the job, I just put my question in this forum since we all have done different types of jobs and our input can help others, I'm sorry if you did not my question and I'm not familiar with the local codes since I work in 3 different cities.

templdl

Hi,

I'm not depending on this forum to do the job, I just put my question in this forum since we all have done different types of jobs and our input can help others, I'm sorry if you did not my question and I'm not familiar with the local codes since I work in 3 different cities.

Good enough as it is often difficult to provide a comprehensive answer with out being familisr with the applicable local codes.

Npstewart

Hi,

No need to apologize in my opinion. This entire forum mostly exists so people can ask code questions, and all code questions are always subject to the local AHJ. Ask away.

You still need the construction type of the building though. :)

OK finally I got to see the full set of drawings and it says construction type II A.

Npstewart

construction type is II A, that's what I saw in plans front page

So your black and white answer then is "NO", NEC 334.10 does not permit the of type NM cable in type II construction. Type II is "Non-combustible construction".

That doesn't necessarily mean you 100% cannot use it though because 334.10 says "other structures permitted to be of types II, IV, & V". This means that perhaps the Architect electively chose to classify the building as type II, but, it would have been possible to be type III etc., in that case, you would be allowed to use it BUT not all inspectors/reviewers will be that savvy.

In the interest of time, Im going to attached the handbook text on this. Most people at this point however would probably just not use it.

Attachments

• Handbook text.jpg
    Handbook text.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 1
So your black and white answer then is "NO", NEC 334.10 does not permit the of type NM cable in type II construction. Type II is "Non-combustible construction".

That doesn't necessarily mean you 100% cannot use it though because 334.10 says "other structures permitted to be of types II, IV, & V". This means that perhaps the Architect electively chose to classify the building as type II, but, it would have been possible to be type III etc., in that case, you would be allowed to use it BUT not all inspectors/reviewers will be that savvy.

In the interest of time, Im going to attached the handbook text on this. Most people at this point however would probably just not use it.

last question the building I am about to start, the other contractor started the job and left, he did the slab and every floor he used pvc pipe is type 2a construction is a non combustible, will pvc be ok in the walls? at least the part that comes out of the floor, I want to go the the building official and ask. but I want to be really understand this better.

building will have fire sprinkles which that will take away the 1 hour rating of the walls I wonder if that will allow romex inside walls

Status
Not open for further replies.