I have a 100 yr old residential project that I'm working on. 240/120 single phase. One 200 amp Main

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricknrrs

New User
Occupation
Mechanical Contractor
Okay. HERE WE GO !
As the description says 240/120 1ph. main, several sub panels some have Edison based fuses and some are a little more modern. We have BX with no ground wire of course. Romex with no ground wire, Romex with a ground and MC with a ground. WE have old receptacles ,new receptacles. WE have metal boxes of course to accomadate the older BX cable. we have plastic boxes.
WE have 2 good size out buldings , that of course have they're own sub panel. Have'nt looked closely at those buildings yet.
Neutrals and grounds what there is are bonded together on the same buss.
So all of us who were born before Nicola Tesla Know exactly what my issues are without me having to elaborate.
I have Ghost voltage everywhere. This Reading at this plug may Have 50 , the next may have 80 so on and so on.
Remember This house is 100 years old and it's in an historical district.(of course it is ). So Tearing walls and ceilings are out.
Okay for all my flowery description here, my question is. Yes I'm going to put down some new ground rods at each panel. If I separate those neutrals and grounds will that help the ghost voltage problem. And yes I'm replacing everything I can possibly get to. plugs ,wiring etc.
Okay here we go . We're now open for Questions and comments.
Thank you ,I hope
Rick

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. We are not allowed to assist a person who is not an electrician to perform their own electrical work.

Status
Not open for further replies.