does not circulate water required to have the
hot and cold water pipes bonded with the circuit
grounding wire.The motor is below the tub that
circulates the air,is this a hydromassage bathtub

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Hydromassage Bathtubs

I would start with the definition of a hudromassage tube in Art 680. Do you feel your application meets that definition, or more importantly, the intent of the definition of a hydromassage tub?

bphgravity

I do not believe you have a hydromassage tub. A hydromassage tub circulates water not air.

I do not feel additional bonding is required as there is no contact potential issues. GFCI protection would be determined by manufacturer's instructions. I would guess gfci protection is required.

(EDIT) I think what I wrote above may be incorrect. According to the UL NCHX.GuideInfo, "A hydromassage bathtub consists of a drainable tub, a recirculating pump and optional equipment such as lights, a heater, a control and an air blower. A bathtub may also be provided with an air-blower and no recirculating pump or with an integral shower unit."

This indicates to me that your unit can and should be considered a hydromassage tub and the requirements of PArt VII of Artcile 680 need to be followed.

[ November 29, 2004, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: bphgravity ]

vinny

mike,
as i understand the definition of a hydromassage bathtub, the three key elements are a recirculating piping system, pump, andassociated equipment. If you take do not have a recirculating system and pump to circulate the water does that not change the the definition of the tub?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.