HV Winding Insulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
How are high voltage windings insulated in power transformers? I take its not enamel? Is it the paper they are wrapped in?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The volts/turn ratio is the same as the secondary, so there's no issue for adjacent windings. I believe they use insulation between winding layers, and they keep the winding ends away from each other inside the enclosure.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Alright, looks like its covered with enamel. What about 15-69kv and 115-765kv?
Do I have "Google" written on my forehead?!
nuts.gif

j/k. I really don't know the details, but I'm sure you could search for them.

I imagine the former range is done like the video. I imagine the volts/turn ratio is still the main determinant.

How are high voltage windings insulated in power transformers? I take its not enamel? Is it the paper they are wrapped in?
I have wondered similar things. Two adjacent wires of course wont have full system potential between them. What is the typical or maximum potential difference between two adjacent wires? Wouldnt "above and below" have much more difference than "left and right"?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired

rnatalie

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Some of our larger step-down transformers just use air to insulate the adjacent turns of the windings.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Do I have "Google" written on my forehead?!
nuts.gif

j/k. I really don't know the details, but I'm sure you could search for them.

I imagine the former range is done like the video. I imagine the volts/turn ratio is still the main determinant.

Nope, but you're smart enough to have the answers! :D :p

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

paulengr

So they just use paper? :unsure:

Almost, sometimes.

If we have say 100 turns with 100 V in a form wound transformer (not random wound) the voltage turn-to-turn is 100 V / 100 turns = 1 V. There is usually thin almost transparent enamel on the wiring.

If we need more it gets separated by wood spacers and/or paper. The whole thing is soaked in varnish or epoxy, tending more to epoxy these days. On larger transformers we use VPI...put a vacuum on it until bubbles stop, then pressurize to push varnish/epoxy in, cycle several times until there are no voids left. The varnish/epoxy+wood/paper composite is part of the insulation. The rest is the air/oil which both insulated and cools the coils, and is why we need all those little wooden spacers in the first place.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
What about the side resting against the metal core? Do the wooden spacer reduce efficiency? Those gaps look huge, where as smaller transformers literally have the wingdings on top of one another touching the windings between them.

paulengr

What is it made of specifically?

It is just paper that has been “chemically modified”.

Of course DuPont has more expensive stuff.

The thing is most of the insulation value is coming from the varnish or epoxy. So we really need something porous to soak up the liquid insulation and provide enough of a structure to hold it.

One of the oil tests for transformers is DP (degree of polymerization). It measures the molecular weight of cellulose in the transformer oil (saw dust). New transformers start out around 800+. When it drops to 100, the transformer is structurally unsound. They can also sample the insulation directly for this test. The acids that oil develops when it breaks down attacks the paper. The water that the paper breaks down into attacks the oil. So maintaining moisture as low as practically possible prevents this chemical reaction from occurring which makes oil filled transformers last. In air cooled transformers the epoxy/varnish is the defense against moisture and no oil acids are present so although they have a reputation for shorter life, I’ve dealt with one from 1978 (1000 kva 7200:480) that has seen hard life on a piece of mobile mining equipment showing no signs of failing any time soon. It’s younger than me but still plenty of years left on it.

So paper is the product of choice along with outright wood wedges for good reason and there is no reason to change.

paulengr

What about the wire itself. Is it just bare copper?

Yes sometimes. The ampacity is greatly increased by increasing surface area so larger transformers often switch fo a rectangular profile instead of circular.

Also aluminum is more economical so the vast majority of transformers are aluminum except special uses.

Status
Not open for further replies.