how's the economy in your area? electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke warmwater

Re: how's the economy in your area? electrical

My company is very busy.
My supply house told me that they are completely swamped with orders.

shocker3218

I've seen more ads in paper for electricians in the last month than what I've seen in the last year. But our particulay company has hit a big rut in the last month, most of our commercial guys are doing residential just to keep busy, some low seniority guys are being sent home early. No layoffs yet.

Nebraska

kelley

Occupation
Estimator

We are booked solid with work still coming in. we are looking for help.

Massachusetts

Kelley

bphgravity

South West Florida is hot as always. That is both the weather and the amount of work!

My county just exceeded 300 new housing permits a month for the first time in history. The other sectors of the industry are doing well also. High-rise condo's are popping up everywhere, and it seems every corner has a Walmart or Publix being built! :eek:

stew

residential work is still very good but commercial work is still very bad here. We have over 650 union electricians still out of work in Seattle alone. Tacoma is better and most book ones dont have any problem getting out but the average wait for a call out of the hall in Seattle has been as long as 8 + months.

brian john

From the Washington DC area I can say we are busy as always, in 34 years in the trade even when the rest of the nation is falling on it's face from unemployment there always seems to be work here.

We have the Federal Gov, Dot Com's, and Medical Research seems one sector is always booming. We have had slow downs at times in residentail or private sector but the Fed's are always doing something.

Loudoun County ( A DC burb) is the fastest growing county in the nation and my taxes are growing to match this expansion.

;) With Algodones, Mexico only 12 miles away, they flock there for medicines that are only a fraction of what they pay for in the USA. "Snowbirds" don't even worry about campsites. You see their RV's set up by the hundreds in the open desert.

[ June 22, 2004, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: ShockedOneinAZsun ]

jimwalker

Your welcome to our off the trail SNOWBIRDS.Keep your auto insurance up and drive only between 4am and 5am.
Just what is the pay scale in YUMA

[ June 22, 2004, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

chrsb

Here in the Detroit MI area things are still slow. 1200 on the book I right now, things are picking up. I had Jan-June off this year, first time in 7 years I have been laid off.

megawire

Lots of A/C wiring (both commercial and residential). Market is good. Everybody is building something. Lots are being built on where there is barely enough room for a lemonade stand. City is cracking down on unlicensed work.

bert47

Central Texas is good. Commercial, Industrial and Residential all busy. It has been better, but also has been much worse at times.

JIMWALKER-Therein lies a grand part of the reason for the boom. The pay scale in Yuma is $6-10.00/hr for helpers., $10-13/hr for residential wiremen, and $12-16/hr for Commercial/industrial wiremen. The union is practically powerless to non-existant in this region. The close proximity of the Mexican border, and those willing to work for $6 an hour keeps our wages low.

[ June 23, 2004, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: ShockedOneinAZsun ]

brian john

AZsun:

I do not buy your premise completely. While there is some validity to the high wages, high taxes, lack of work combined with excessive union wages, regulations and give away government programs. This area has top notch wages and benefits, and work has been strong for 34 plus years.

BRIANJOHN-I could possibly accept what you are saying, except for the way I have to bid houses, and where I am getting the competition from. I just picked up a subdivision of houses (40) today, and I had to bid them out at about $1.85 a square foot to even get in the door with this company. With the interest rates low, and houses selling for $45-54 a square foot, people from San Diego, and so many other western states are flocking here to buy them. People in California are selling their high priced homes, and coming over here and buying them cash, with plenty left in their pockets. :mad: :eek:

If you have some suggestions on how I can help increase the wages and benefits around here and still be competitive, I am all ears.

[ June 23, 2004, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: ShockedOneinAZsun ]

I MOVED TO THE MAINLAND (SOUTH) FROM HAWAII BECAUSE THE MARKET TOOK A DIVE, DOES ANYONE KNOW OTHER THAN THE RESIDENTIAL MARKET HAS PICK UP ANY?
I HAVE FRIENDS THAT SAY THE REALISTATE MARKET HAS TOOK OFF AGAIN, FIGURES AFTER I SOLD MY HOUSE. THANKS AND ALOHA

Status
Not open for further replies.