how to splice (twist or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

flhtclark

I'm just checking to see how others are doing this: If you want to pigtail off of two 12 gauge solid wires (as if you were doing this for a receptacle that feeds to another receptacle) do you twist the wires together before using the wire nut or do you leave them at equal lengths and just use the wire nut to secure them. Years ago (about 15) I learned not to twist; then my boss thought it would be a good idea. Now I have a buddy in N.J. that says there told not to twist. I'm only referring to two or more solid wires of the same gauge; capped with a wire nut (not solid and stranded together). Any input would be appreciated; or if there's a thread on this already, please direct me to it. Thanks.

flhtclark

Re: how to splice (twist or not)

Ryan, thanks for the info. I read all of them. I guess I'll stick with the addage, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Also I don't want to chase down an AFCI problem that may occurr. Thanks again.

Rick

Re: how to splice (twist or not)

have had many service calls where i have found loose conductors under the wirenuts due to not being pre- twisted , i have never had any problems with the pre-twisting method.

Status
Not open for further replies.