How to cut in a 50A receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The gangable boxes have clips (ears) that will prevent the box from falling in. You don't have to attach it to a stud if you use a pair of Madison straps.

I understand that the box has ears however I have also seen boxes with ears get push thru the sheetrock. Madison clips are really there to keep the box from coming out not from going in

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I understand that the box has ears however I have also seen boxes with ears get push thru the sheetrock. Madison clips are really there to keep the box from coming out not from going in
I haven't had any complaints with the several 50 amp outlets that I've installed that way. I guess I just cut them in tighter and the customers have had no problems.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I haven't had any complaints with the several 50 amp outlets that I've installed that way. I guess I just cut them in tighter and the customers have had no problems.
In a place like a range you may be able to do it but if you are plugging in and unplugging I can't imagine it works. No matter I would not install it that way, I would want a stud to fastened the box.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
In a place like a range you may be able to do it but if you are plugging in and unplugging I can't imagine it works. No matter I would not install it that way, I would want a stud to fastened the box.
Fastening the box to a stud is certainly the best practice. The OP was looking for viable options.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree with that statement.
It sounds like most of us have a "grip" on what has to done to install this device even with our varying opinions.
There are many variables to stage how we execute the job and we could all learn from them.
I have installed old work boxes and spray foamed them in place in certain applications.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
Like a welder that gets put away and then taken off the shelf to use. They only need a 30 amp circuit or less, but come with 50 amp plugs. Same with small plasma cutters.

Status
Not open for further replies.