How to cut in a 50A receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there some trick, or special product you can use for installing a 50A receptacle flush-mount in an existing wall, without having to cut extra drywall out? We had a job recently, where the customer added such a receptacle in his garage, and we ran 6/3 NM from the panel. I provided my journeyman with a 4-11/16" metal box and a 1" cable clamp, but there didn't seem to be any easy way to mount it inside the wall. He ended up just using 3/4 conduit down the wall and surface-mounting the box. The customer would have preferred to see it in the wall, flush-mount, but I can't really think of a good way to do it.

I don't think you can just put it in a 2-gang plastic cut-in box, because the 6/3 is too big to go into the wire clamps.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just gang together two 3.5" deep metal old work boxes.

If you aren't attached to a stud you will push that box right thru the sheetrock, imo especially with a large plug that you will have to force into the box and then get the male end into the outlet.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
All right, that 2-gang box seems like what I need. I probably need to use that on new installs, too, instead of a 4-11/16" with a 2-gang mud ring. I didn't know a box like that was available.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've been searching, and didn't find one yet, like what Dennis posted. I found the CarlonB234ADJC and the Thomas & Betts TV183881. They're virtually the same, and they don't look easy to use in a retrofit situation.

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Found the Arlington one: http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/specialty-boxes/one-box-non-metallic-outlet-boxes/F102

It comes with 1/2" and 3/4" KOs. I guess 6/3 can fit in a 3/4". I found two old threads that address this issue:

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/8-3-6-3-nm-cable.73426/ This one doesn't specifically address other than new construction.

https://forums.mikeholt.com/threads/plastic-snap-ins-vs-romex-connectors.10944/ Reply #16 on this one mentions running 6/3 through a plastic 3/4" connector.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I've cut in a lot of large receptacles.
If you cut the hole right, you don't have to worry about pushing it through the drywall.

One trick - don't try to just fold and push.
After you attach wires, spin the receptacle so the wires will coil as you push the receptacle into the box.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, but those are just normal 2-gang boxes (except with more interior volume). I don't think you can get a 6/3 cable into those boxes, or attach the box to a stud after the drywall is done, in a way that complies with code.
I agree.
They are that and your not supposed to.
You may be able to drill out a hole for a 3/4" connector
Dennis looks like your best bet for a retrofit.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
If you cut the hole right, you don't have to worry about pushing it through the drywall.

One trick - don't try to just fold and push.
After you attach wires, spin the receptacle so the wires will coil as you push the receptacle into the box.
This is how I make up all my boxes except regular non dimmer switches those I fold up and down.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree. If it's installed correctly it's not going into or falling out of the wall. If it does the installer was a hack.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
If you aren't attached to a stud you will push that box right thru the sheetrock, imo especially with a large plug that you will have to force into the box and then get the male end into the outlet.
The gangable boxes have clips (ears) that will prevent the box from falling in. You don't have to attach it to a stud if you use a pair of Madison straps.

Status
Not open for further replies.