How do you make a watertight connection between PVC conduit and a metal enclosure?

Installer

How do you make a watertight connection between PVC conduit and a NEMA 3R metal enclosure?
In this case, the metal enclosure sits under an overhanging eave and is directly out of rain so we feel
safe entering on the side and not bottom. (Is this okay?)
How do we run a 2 inch PVC conduit into the enclosure ?
If it were aluminum or metal conduit, we would use a conduit hub..
PVC coated conduit hubs are like $250. Could we just use a meter base?
We're trying to keep costs down. pvc hub.PNG

marmathsen

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Funny. I just asked this question a few weeks ago.

Rob G - Seattle

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A junction box in a wet location (even with power condcutors) has no below the live parts exception for conduit entries.

I think that the only code recognized way would be a sealing locknut.
Rob I'm pretty sure sealing locknuts are for RMC and IMC only. Unless you mean to transition to a RGS nipple using a FA then the sealing lock nut on the nipple. I believe that method or get one of those o-rings would be the only compliant method. Oh, or the RGS transition method then into a Meyers hub.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Rob I'm pretty sure sealing locknuts are for RMC and IMC only. Unless you mean to transition to a RGS nipple using a FA then the sealing lock nut on the nipple. I believe that method or get one of those o-rings would be the only compliant method. Oh, or the RGS transition method then into a Meyers hub.
Do they make O-rings for PVC terminal adapters? Maybe they do make them but I've never seen a TA that came with an O- ring.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
Oops this is antenna cable, not electrical wiring. The enclosure is a polyphaser box.
Do you mean PolyPhaser made the box, or it is a box made by somebody else that contains PolyPhaser surge protectors? I've used the surge protectors but never noticed any boxes being available from PolyPhaser.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm not sure why. A terminal adapter uses a standard locknut so why should a sealing locknut be any different?
Just like a lot of things, ...they have only been evaluated for use with rigid or IMC.
From the UL Guide Information for "conduit fittings (DWTT)"
Sealing (Liquid-tight) Locknuts — Sealing locknuts are intended for use with threaded rigid metal conduit and intermediate metal conduit with one sealing locknut on the outside or the inside and either an ordinary locknut or sealing locknut on the inside of the enclosure for wet locations or liquid-tight applications. Sealing locknuts may also be used with certified wet location or liquid-tight fittings where so marked on the fitting carton and used on the inside of the enclosure.