Hot Tub GFCI / Disconnect Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

bob91794

I am getting ready to install a GFCI/disconnect for a hot tub. The tub is on an outdoor deck that is attached to the back of a single family dwelling. The tub is self-conatined, except for the GFCI/disconnect. I will use PVC under the deck to carry wires to the tub. I would like to put the panel(containing GFCI & disconnect) on a 4x4 that supports the deck. The location would be just below the hot tub, on the outside edge of the deck. The deck has a rail and picket between the panel and the tub. Is this considered visible (since you have to look down along the side of the deck to see the disconnect)? I really do not want to locate the panel on the deck unless I have to. The deck has steps down to the ground, and the disconnect is easy to get to. It will be closer than 5 feet to the tub, but it is separated by a permanent barrier (deck rails and picket).
Give me your comments and suggestions for locations. This is my first hot tub installation.
Thank you for your help with this!

[ May 31, 2004, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: bob91794 ]

bob91794

Re: Hot Tub GFCI / Disconnect Location

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
5 feet is 5 feet. there is no exception.
The NEC mentions "permanent barriers" relating to some situations around hot tubs/pools. That is why I wanted to put the panel where I mentioned in the first post. What do you think of putting the panel 5 feet away, but still mounted on a 4x4 that supports the deck. It would be still below the tub, but 5ft away. Any additional ideas would be helpful.

[ May 31, 2004, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: bob91794 ]

hurk27

Re: Hot Tub GFCI / Disconnect Location

If this is a single-family dwelling then a emergency disconnect is not required as per 680.41 This eliminates the 5' requirment.
Then all that is required is a service disconnect. And this only has to be within sight or be able to be locked in the off position. I think most disconnects have a place to put a lock on the cover door that would comply very nicely.

[ June 01, 2004, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.