Hot Days and Smoking Transfomers

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
As I sit at my desk I listen to the Local Fire Dept on the scanner.

Right now they are actually responding to their third smoking pole mounted transformer without even going back to the station.

The local municipal power company is still dealing with the first one.

If I don't loose power soon I will be surprised.

Today is the hottest day of this summer here it does not inspire me with confidence for the rest of the summer.

They have been pulling new larger primarys all over town, looks like it's time for some new transformers as well.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
iwire said:
Today is the hottest day of this summer here it does not inspire me with confidence for the rest of the summer.

We must be having global cooling in Phoenix today -- only 105 at the moment. Quite nice compared to last week.

bphgravity

Wow!

My entire professional career has been here in Florida and I have never heard of this happening. Then again, we really only get to around 95? mid day in the summer on the Gulf Coast. It's only broken 100? a few rare days.

I hope you have an adequate optional standby system! ;)

e57

100+ a few miles away over the bridge, 74 where I was all day with a cool ocean breeze. For some reason I am installing AC there!!!!! It will have all but 5 hot days a year there. The fog usually burns off about 10-11 am, if at all.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A few years ago, a municipal utility in a small town near me actually connected garden hoses to houses near some of their transformers and ran them up the poles to cool the transformers.
Don

ron

It's funny how most folks are so particular in specification of transformer size and the associated temperature rise for a client. On the other hand, the utilities regularly let the transformers run past their kVA ratings, because the associated overtemp is USUALLY not a problem ......

Stay cool Bob!

hockeyoligist2

77401 said:
I just finished converting my portable generator to run on tri-fuel.
I now can run it off the natural gas from my house. No more gasoline!
So bring on the power outages! I am ready!

Tri-fuel? I see gas, natural gas, please say the other is propane (or leftover peanut oil, got a lot of that!)! I don't have natural! How did you do it?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
don_resqcapt19 said:
A few years ago, a municipal utility in a small town near me actually connected garden hoses to houses near some of their transformers and ran them up the poles to cool the transformers.
Don

I used to work as a security guard when I was going to school. One of the security guards jobs was to turn off the sprinklers after the sun went down. The sprinklers were on the chillers up on the roof. it was the only way they could keep up with the cooling demand in the building when it got real hot. The building engineer just stopped on his way home from work one day and bought an oscillating sprinkler and a hose and set it up on the roof to spray on the chiller coils on extra hot days.

Status
Not open for further replies.