Horse barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

hkme

I am wiring a horse barn ( my first) Would it be alright to wire the non-exposed to physical damage locations-like near the roof, with exposed NM ? I plan to wire exposed areas in schedule 80 PVC. I hesitate to wire in EMT because of the danger to animals if it were damaged. I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks HKME

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Horse barn

Horse barns can be corrosive. There is a NM cable that is corrosion resistant, I've never used it. I would suggest using UF cable , and pvc sch 80 and install in corners so it can't be damaged.

cs409

Artical 547-1 (NEC-99year) should answer all your questions or lead you to other areas....good luck.....if something isnt listed, then use good common sense/practice,,,remember, animals will find a way to mess up something LOL...oh,,,,if an AHJ will be involved (as in inspection/s etc)then i would go and ask what the AHJ wants and expects......

wayne123

I have wired a couple horse barns. I strongly suggest using RMC. Horses have a tendency to chew up things. I have seen the PVC fences and plastic feed troughs chewed up.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Would it be a good isea to keep all grounded material out of contact by the horse?

wayne123

Didn't think of that Bennie. I don't run any conduit in the horses stalls except for overhead lighting and I use RMC. I guess I could use PVC up there if it is high enough that the horse couldn't hit it if it were spooked and reared up.

hkme

Thanks guys for the information - some good tips here! Roof is 14' here so it should be safe to run PVC up in the rafters, I'll put all the risers in the tack room so they will not be damaged. Concrete floor has fibre in it - Installer says no wire mesh. so I don't know what to do about equal potential grounding grid? maybe I should run a piece of # 4 bare gnd. around the center of the barn to be encased in the concrete floor. (The stalls do not have a concrete floor) Also Since there is no lightning protection, I thought of installing a ground rod at each corner and connecting a piece of # 6 bare gnd to the roof just in case.

hkme

Another question, I am also installing an Electric fencer. Is this required to be on a GFI outlet? I question if it will work if it is. Someone with experience in this subject - help! - Thanks much!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.