Homeowner getting shocked in shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Hello all,

So, I've been doing work for an acquaintance, and during my last visit he told me he had gotten a shock while he was taking a shower. The background is, he bought the house last year and he hired a friend of a friend to renovate a few areas of the residence, including the bathroom/shower in question. This shower is in the guest bathroom, so there is normally no need for his family to use this shower, thus the reason this issue wasn't a high priority for him.

The faucet and drain strainer are metal, the floor of the shower is tile. There is a gfi serving the sink, so I get 120v from the gfi to the faucets, but not to the drain, and he'll only get this shock when the floor is wet. Some more observations, and my observation is the guy that did the wiring had little electrical knowledge and experience as his work was very messy and he had cut the egc off of the romex at the recessed lights in the bathroom. Most of the new circuits he pulled came from a sub panel, in which he had both the neutrals and egc's together, of course, and the hot water heater pipes were not bonded together either. (For the heck of it, I recorded a 2.5 amp draw on the GEC going to the water main)

To continue, I noticed my non-contact voltage tester would light up when I placed it near the faucet, so I hit all the single pole breakers as the homeowner held it in place, the tester didn't go off until I hit a double pole 30. This circuit fed a double oven/microwave which is in the kitchen that this bathroom borders (The guy had put a twist lock directly onto the four conductors emerging from the flex coming off this appliance) I then discovered that this unit was fed with a 10/2, hmm, so I would have opened the box the twist lock was plugged into to investigate, but I couldn't because the cabinet was installed over the box, so now there's like a 2" hole over the box so it can be plugged in :)

It was getting late so I had to pack it in, but I plan on going back maybe this coming week. I've been busy with other things, but one thing I thought was maybe a screw or nail went through the romex, (And hitting the ground) when the shower floor was put in, and because the neutral loads from the oven/micro are likely attached to the EGC (Because he ran a 10/2) thus in turn energizing the wire mesh for the shower floor, maybe? Would that cause a shock?

Ps, scratch that, a nail or screw going through this cable would've also hit either of the other two ungrounded conductors and shorting the circuit out.

Last edited by a moderator:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I have no idea from your rambling. If the problem goes away when you turn off the 2 pole 30 for the oven and microwave, re-run it from the panel and install a proper receptacle and plug. Nothing else to tell you.

-Hal

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When you went from the gfci to the floor did you put the test lead into the neutral side of the gfci or the hot side?

One guess is the drain is probably plastic and not metallic while the water line are metallic the entire way. If you had 120v fom the hot to the faucet that should be expected if the water lines are copper.

mark32

I have no idea from your rambling. If the problem goes away when you turn off the 2 pole 30 for the oven and microwave, re-run it from the panel and install a proper receptacle and plug. Nothing else to tell you.

-Hal
Haha! Yes my friend, I was afraid of rambling. I posted that in a rush because I had an appointment to buy a car, but my salesman asked me if I could arrive a bit earlier, so I feverishly typed that out so I could get on my way :)

Correct Dennis. I went from the hot side of the gfi to the drain, just wanted to see if it was grounded.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
What's the voltage from the shower handles to the drain? Shower head ? Now let the hot water run until the water heater comes on. Voltage?

Check it while the shower drain has water running through it.

What is he touching when he feels the shock?
Concrete or wood floors?

A nail through a cable won't necessarily pierce the insulation of any conductor.

The two pole breaker load sounds suspicious but don't trust that idiot stick entirely. Double check.

mark32

Are you sure the 10/2 is for the oven and not the water heater? Usually the oven is 10/3nm
Hi Dennis,

Indeed, the 10/2 is feeding this appliance, as I mentioned, the previous guy had limited experience, wait until I post a pic of another receptacle this guy left under a different cabinet. The water heater is gas BTW.

mark32

What's the voltage from the shower handles to the drain? Shower head ? Now let the hot water run until the water heater comes on. Voltage?

Check it while the shower drain has water running through it.

What is he touching when he feels the shock?
Concrete or wood floors?

A nail through a cable won't necessarily pierce the insulation of any conductor.

The two pole breaker load sounds suspicious but don't trust that idiot stick entirely. Double check.

Hey ptonsparky,

There is no continuity from the drain to anything in the bathroom. I get 120v from the shower head to the feed going to a nearby gfci, the same goes for the shower handles. As noted above, the water heater is gas. The shock only comes when the water is running, or more accurately, the shock will happen when the shower floor is wet. The floor itself is tile. I agree with your comments regarding the non contact tester, I wasn't even using it initially, the homeowner was the one playing with it and he discovered it would light up near the handle and showerhead. I may just run a new cable to feed the appliance as Hal mentioned.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
At least he knew enough to keep a fire extinguisher handy.
Should have something more like this:

100-1004_-APS1_image_main-scaled.jpg

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
My wife and I lived in a rent house for a few years where there was an aluminum framed window over the bathtub. We very quickly learned not to touch the window frame while we were showering. With my DVM I measured 120V between the window frame and the water spigot but there was (luckily for us) very little available fault current; I could only get a very small arc with a shorting wire and it didn't trip a breaker.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My wife and I lived in a rent house for a few years where there was an aluminum framed window over the bathtub. We very quickly learned not to touch the window frame while we were showering. With my DVM I measured 120V between the window frame and the water spigot but there was (luckily for us) very little available fault current; I could only get a very small arc with a shorting wire and it didn't trip a breaker.
Nothing like having a window in the shower.

Makes me think about the neighbors that eventually informed a homeowner her newly installed one way bathroom window was put in backwards.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Nothing like having a window in the shower.

Makes me think about the neighbors that eventually informed a homeowner her newly installed one way bathroom window was put in backwards.
I don't think that there is any such thing as truly one way glass. I am pretty sure that what touted as such is just partially silvered glass that both reflects and transmits light; someone in the dark on one side of the glass can see what is happening on the well lit other side, while someone on the brightly lit side sees only a reflection.

There was a case a few years ago where a couple thought that the glass between their ballpark suite and the field was "one way glass". They put on a performance against the glass that could be seen from the cheap seats.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I don't think that there is any such thing as truly one way glass. I am pretty sure that what touted as such is just partially silvered glass that both reflects and transmits light; someone in the dark on one side of the glass can see what is happening on the well lit other side, while someone on the brightly lit side sees only a reflection.

There was a case a few years ago where a couple thought that the glass between their ballpark suite and the field was "one way glass". They put on a performance against the glass that could be seen from the cheap seats.
My personal experience with bathroom windows is that even the frosted glass that's supposed to heavily blur any view of the interior, is, ahhh, less than sufficient. At our last house we had a bathroom remodel and the contractor installed said glass. Before we used it, I had my wife step into the shower (fully clothed) in front of the window while I stood below in the driveway. We immediately got a cheap set of plastic curtains on a tension rod.

macmikeman

The culprit here could very well be a crack in one of the water heater elements. A small enough crack and the breaker doesn't react because it stays just under the trip curve levels.

Been there, fixed that. In my most humble of opinions, if there is any "appliance" in the house that should be NEC mandated GFI protected, the water heaters would get my vote, not so much the dishwasher or the ac compressor located outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.