Holes in Condulets

Status
Not open for further replies.

madavis2

I am in a manufacturing facility that is about 12 yrs old, and in a nasty environment. Some of our rigid conduit and metallic condulets are beginning to erode or rot. There have been instances of water getting into the condulets and/or j-boxes causing grounded circuits. We are planning replacement of the conduit, boxes, etc.
Our plant engineer (EE I might add) said "drill holes in the low points of the condulets or boxes to allow water to drain. That is OK by NEC standards."
I disagree, but I am in a bad position. Is it, or is it not legal to "drill holes" in boxes or condulet for such purpose. Could you site the correct article in the NEC to solve this issue for us.

Thank You

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Holes in Condulets

Drilling weep holes will be an upgrade to the conduit system.

Many will quote the UL Listing instructions. Unless the listing instructions specifically forbids drilling holes, in my opinion it can be done.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

230.53 Raceways to Drain - Where exposed to the weather, raceways enclosing service entrance conductors shall be raintight and arranged to drain. Where embedded in masonry, raceways shall be arranged to drain.

If you don't provide holes, how can a raceway drain. So I agree with bennie.

I never understood why this paragraph is only in article 230: Services. Shouldn't it be duplicated in "225: Outside Feeders and Branch Circuits"??? :confused:

Steve

Edit:duhh...it is basically duplicated in 225.22.

[ April 20, 2004, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: steve66 ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I have actualy installed "T" fittings turned down at the low point in conduit runs.

In underground locations we would dig a 3'x 3' hole filled with gravel at the low point, and install the "T" fitting here.

I agree with Steve that it is strange that this drainage requirement is not included in other articles.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ben, where does condensation not occure?

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

we would dig a 3'x 3' hole filled with gravel at the low point
If the hole is located somewhere underground, it won't do much good unless you provide the gravel pit Roger described. A hole can let as much water in as it lets out.

Stve

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Many times you don't have to drill any holes...just cut a small notch in the cover gasket if it is at a low point. I've seen this used many times where a LB is at the bottom of a vertical run. As to water getting into the conduit, in addition to condensate, conduit couplings do not provide a water tight connection. In a vertical run in a wet location, the water running down the outside of the conduit will collect on the top of the coupling and then work its way down around the threads and into the conduit.
Don

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Crouse Hinds makes a non hazardous location drain fitting, its a CGB (cord grip) with a garden hose filter on it. You could make one pretty easily, or drill a weep hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.