hi pot testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedpnder

please excuse my ignorance, is hi pot testing required by NEC code on a 2000 amp SES? if so where in the code can I find it ? thank you very much

bob

Re: hi pot testing

Hi Pot Testing is associated with high voltage cable( eg. 15 kv cable). Do you mean that you need to megger the cable? This is not unusual for 600 volt cable. It is not required by the NEC but the engineer might require it.

jerryb

Hi-pot testing is not a NEC issue. Usually this is a local code requirement. I believe Phoenix and surrounding areas (as an example) require this kind of high voltage test on all switchgear 1000 amps and larger every 5 years or if a new breaker is added to an existing switchboard.

stew

Jerry is the requirement for a megger insulation test or hi-pot. 2 different animals .?
Megger voltage is 1000 volts or lower and hi pot is 5,000 volts and higher. Also hi-pot can break a pinhole in otherwise good cable if there is a weak spot and tracking can then occur and cause leakage failures .Just curious

[ March 12, 2004, 08:03 PM: Message edited by: stew ]

dnbob

JerryB is correct about the hipot testing in the greater Phoenix area, haven't heard of 5 year testing except on certain facilities that request it, but it is required on all new services 1000 amps and above. I believe the voltage is approx 2000vdc for one minute.

hedpnder

thank you,meggars been completed,local ahj :confused: claims it was NEC code(hi pot)will schedule none the less, you've been a big help

Status
Not open for further replies.