Hi leg boost transformer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My name is Ed, my shop has a new customer that had a previous electrical contractor set up a boost transformer to get 480v 3 phase for a piece of equipment soon to arrive for me to connect. Now a couple things I will pay attention to will be the hi leg to opposing phase @ voltage output, and which phase's the control transformer within the controller will be connected to. Now my question is, I will look into moving the High leg output (B ph.) of secondary boost side to a lower tap to get close to equal outputs between all three phases. Is this a proper approach?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Welcome to the forum.

I think what you are describing is a step up transformer, changing the voltage from 240V to 480V. There would be no high leg on the secondary side and the bigger issue would be what kind of transformer you are using and how you would ground the secondary.

What is the voltage in the in the customers building and what is the equipment being hooked up?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
What are you starting with? It sounds like you are starting with something like a high leg delta. Is so, there is no good way to do what you want using boost transformers only. If you start with a wye you can use an autotransformer.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Welcome to the forum.

I think what you are describing is a step up transformer, changing the voltage from 240V to 480V. There would be no high leg on the secondary side and the bigger issue would be what kind of transformer you are using and how you would ground the secondary.

What is the voltage in the in the customers building and what is the equipment being hooked up?
Not absolutely true. Could be a true step up transformer with a 480/240V 3Ø 4W secondary configuration.

kwired

Electron manager
What? Does the math really work out that way? Do people order those?

When you do run into those systems they are usually derived from three separate single phase transformers. (240/480 units - will have a high leg of about 416 volts)

If you want one wound on a single core - you probably can pay extra to have them build you one but if you just buy one with wye secondary from stock it will cost less and you will have it faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.