help wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beegee

I realize that there are many factors involved in preparing a bid. That said, this is my first bid and I'm looking for feedback. Keep in mind, a union electrician around here makes about $32 an hour (commercial or residential) + benefits. The job I bid on is a small residential addition. It involves a 14-3 homerun through a dropped ceiling to the panel. Also, 18 outlets(receptacles), 11 recessed cans, 1 ceiling fan, 1 exhaust fan, 1 smoke, 11 single poles(3 are dimmers), 3 outlets on an island, 1 track light, a jack for phone and cable, and outside there are four floods along with 3 receptacles. The homeowner has already purchased all of the luminaires including the cans and trims(and fans). This will be a one man job. I know its hard to say without seeing the job, but I'd like to have some ballpark figures to compare mine with. By the way, I bid $2000. :confused:

bill addiss

Re: help wanted!

beegee,

I don't know if this is the case where you are, but also consider that you may have to connect that smoke to others, or even install more throughout the existing house if they are not there.

Bill

chrsb

My price would have been 2500 plus any permit fees and they supply the track light, fan and floods with lamps. Dont forget your benifits when figuring your labor for a union electricain, the cost per hour is 58.77 that is with employer taxs, workmans comp, etc. The base rate is 33.25 her in Michigan.

[ December 21, 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: chrsb ]

electricmanscott

Why doesn't anyone figure permit fees into the price? :confused: seems to me it is part of the cost of the job. How's this, "$2873.00 plus insurance costs", makes no sense. Why pick one random cost to exclude from your bid?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Scott, permits are always part of a bid price, as well as burdens, as mentioned by Chrsb, even in the nonunion world.

Roger

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I think the permit fee would vary from town to town, hence the reason that's stated in this venue. What could be $25 in one town could be $150 in the next, and Beegee would just need to research as to what that cost would be.

I think a lot of times, the GC pulled the permit already, so it would be omitted from the total. It's a valid statement, IMO.

active1

I came in at $3,500. Did we get the job? We use EMT so that is a bit higher. Add a bit more if the island outlets have to be cut in. We provide bath fans and can light included in the price. We labor and materials and would like to make a proffit on materials also. Most of the time the customer buys the cheapest or the wrong thing so it waists your time and makes you nothing. To use his junk we could take off $100.

Each item is priced differently but the average is $62.50 an opening with about 56 holes. You average $35.71 a hole. I can't say what it costs you in material or time for NM but remember your only getting xx per hole. Fans and lights can take 1/2 hour to put up and you may have to make extra trips because your waiting on a fixture or just customer satifaction. Don't forget to figure in all your overhead (taxes, insurance, phone, advertising, accountant, truck, fuel, etc.) and a proffit (10% a place to start). You might look at the ECN business forum for more about pricing for a proffit. You do want to make a wadge and a company proffit.

Tom

beegee

I ended up bidding $2300 and I did get the job. Now comes the hard part....making money. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

aelectricalman

I would charge $38.90 per opening for 56 openings. That puts me at $2178.40 + $70 for inspections and fees. Ballpark.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by beegee:
I ended up bidding $2300 and I did get the job. Now comes the hard part....making money. Thanks for all the help gentlemen.
You're up $300 from your original price, and you still got the job. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.