help locating definitions for Class II & "low v

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: help locating definitions for Class II & "low v

"Listed" to the NEC means that the product has been listed by UL or another recognized testing laboratory. The NEC does not list or test products.

Somebody else more familiar with UL will need to explain the difference between UL recognized and UL listed.

I suspect it means that your transformer cannot be used alone (and I believe that is what you said) but can only be used as a component part of a listed assembly. The listed assembly would be the product that your customer produces using your transformer. It is up to the customer to submit their complete product for testing and obtain a listing. So it is really your customer who is not in compliance with the NEC.

My opinion, lets see what others have to say.

-Hal

johnj

If you get Mike Holt's book; "Understanding Low Voltage and Power Limited Systems" it will provide you with answers to many of the questions you have. I work with low voltage all the time, and its been a great help.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

The correct term is limited energy. You can have low voltage and high amperage. Once you exceed the limits of Class II or III then you must use a chapter 3 wiring method.

Status
Not open for further replies.