Help It's another trailor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vasparky

A trailor is being fed off a house with 100 amps and we have found a problem with the nuetral wire
the wire is fed from the hose buiried approx. 1 foot underground and not piped below ground level just into the ground at both panels is ther any way to find where the damage on the nuetral is at or should I just dig up all 200 feet of wire?

brian john

Re: Help It's another trailor!

VA:

If you do not have the test equipment available contact a firm that specializes in cable fault locating should be a lot cheaper than digging up the cable.

cselectric

Is the neutral completely broken or do you still have some continuity through it? If it's a clean break, a basic cable locator will work great.

Barring that, I'd hazard a guess and say the problem is located right outside of one of the buildings. Specifically where the cable assembly exits the pipe chase. A majority of the underground faults I've traced out have been found right there (especially true in areas subject to frost heave, heavy vehicle traffic, or anything else that causes movement of the Earth.) I'd bet your fault is right at that pipe end and you'll find a cable with bad abrasion damage and a pipe end with no bushing to protect the wires.

dcl34769

i do repair work in fl(mobile home capital of the world)and they are direct burial cable 95% of the time. anyway, we used to repair the breaks, but on a couple of jobs we had to re-repair the line because there would be more than one bad spot in the cable. our solution, dig a new trench,USE CONDUIT, and repull the wire. because you know when you go to repair that "one" break you'll be fixing another one 6 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.