Heating mat problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
That’s the plan. I would also like to run it with no snow or ice on the roof

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”
You didn't answer the question of whether you have GFPE or GFCI protection.

GFCI will trip with only ~5 mA of leakage. GFPE will need 30, 50 or even 100 mA leakage depending on which unit is used.

kwired

Electron manager
If the circuit is consistently metering at 6.5A, perhaps there may be a problem with the GFPE breaker.
Or an actual ground fault, capacitive leakage, etc. Damaged mat/cable causing leakage? Meg on low test volts if you have meter with that ability 125 or 250 instead of 500 or 1000.

Jon456

Or an actual ground fault, capacitive leakage, etc. Damaged mat/cable causing leakage? Meg on low test volts if you have meter with that ability 125 or 250 instead of 500 or 1000.
Yep. I was just going through a process of elimination. It would be easy and cheap to temporarily swap out the GFPE with a standard breaker. As long as you're just doing it for diagnostic testing, taking proper precautions, and continuously monitoring the circuit, the risk of personal injury or property damage should be minimal.

kwired

Electron manager
You didn't answer the question of whether you have GFPE or GFCI protection.

GFCI will trip with only ~5 mA of leakage. GFPE will need 30, 50 or even 100 mA leakage depending on which unit is used.
I guess you did say it was GFPE in the OP, sorry about that.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Thread over a year old. To continue the thread, go here............

Status
Not open for further replies.