Hazardous locations Class 2 Division 2 (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juiceman1

I have a client who wants to add a 120 volt convenience outlet connection point in a room with what I believe are slightly volatile fumes from a machine that sprays urathane type coatings on wood. It's also the drying room (through air ventilation fan) for the product after it's sprayed.

The client claims the particulate fumes are not volatile but I doubt that, Anyway re the classification, Am I correct in assuming this should be Class 2 Div. 2 location ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a client who wants to add a 120 volt convenience outlet connection point in a room with what I believe are slightly volatile fumes from a machine that sprays urathane type coatings on wood. It's also the drying room (through air ventilation fan) for the product after it's sprayed.

The client claims the particulate fumes are not volatile but I doubt that, Anyway re the classification, Am I correct in assuming this should be Class 2 Div. 2 location ?

I have seen several machines that spray polyurethane coatings on wood and did not see any evidence of a classified area.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)

Call the mfg, ask for an MSDS.
Probably a typo - I'm guessing you meant "Class 1".

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Call the mfg, ask for an MSDS.
Probably a typo - I'm guessing you meant "Class 1".
A few comments:
1. An MSDS should already be onsite since it is an CalOSHA requirement.
2. I think you meant Class I or II ;) (Poly)urethane is usually considered a dust spray.
3. Area classification would be per Article 516/NFPA 33 if it turns out the MSDS indicates the (poly)urethane spray constitutes a hazard. (Not too likely) See NFPA 497 and 499 also.
4. IF a hazard is indicated, it’s likely to be Division 1, not 2.

iceworm

Occupation
A few comments:
1. An MSDS should already be onsite since it is an CalOSHA requirement.
2. I think you meant Class I or II ;) (Poly)urethane is usually considered a dust spray.
3. Area classification would be per Article 516/NFPA 33 if it turns out the MSDS indicates the (poly)urethane spray constitutes a hazard. (Not too likely) See NFPA 497 and 499 also.
4. IF a hazard is indicated, it’s likely to be Division 1, not 2.

When I was writing that, I could feel you replying with your usual "No, it's 'eye' not 'one'" And I thought about noting, "Yes Bob, I hear you, you're correct." But I still wanted to keep it in line with the OP. And how could I deprive you of your signature slap.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
When I was writing that, I could feel you replying with your usual "No, it's 'eye' not 'one'" And I thought about noting, "Yes Bob, I hear you, you're correct." But I still wanted to keep it in line with the OP. And how could I deprive you of your signature slap.
I didn’t mean to poke you in the eye. I do believe if you’re going to correct someone though, you need to correct them correctly.

However, my original intent was to endorse your statement about securing an MSDS, but I got carried away; I apologize.

I haven’t worked with either urethane or polyurethane so I did do some checking with a few online MSDSs and with the NFPA Standards I mentioned. I came to the conclusion that it was unlikely the particular coating system in question would create a hazardous location. It is remotely possible that the transfer propellant is flammable but it wasn’t mentioned in the OP.

iceworm

Occupation
I didn’t mean to poke you in the eye. ...
Hopefully that was an intentional pun - it's good.

As for the rest, you are correct.
Always best to use the correct terminology
I didn't think about the dried overspray dust being flammable. I plead target fixation on the word "fumes".​

Let the apology be light weight - I'm fine

Status
Not open for further replies.