Having a problem in a residential Sub-Panel outside in Garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
why would a ground rod at a separate structure cause objectionable current? It is supposed to be connected to the EGC. There should be no current there except in the case of a fault.
why would a ground rod at a separate structure cause objectionable current? It is supposed to be connected to the EGC. There should be no current there except in the case of a fault.
You would be paralleling grounds and it could cause objectionable current. I have seen instances where a G.E.C. was installed and not needed and by disconnecting it, solved some issues.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
You would be paralleling grounds and it could cause objectionable current. I have seen instances where a G.E.C. was installed and not needed and by disconnecting it, solved some issues.
Just where would the objectionable current come from? If the ground rod is tied only to the EGC there is no current on that wire short of a fault.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A ground rod, or other GES is required at a separate structure. Where the GEC lands in the subpanel depends on whether an EGC was ran with the feeder or not. If there was an EGC, then the GEC would land on the EGC bar, if not, it would land on the neutral bar. In either case it shouldn't affect a GFCI.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
A ground rod, or other GES is required at a separate structure. Where the GEC lands in the subpanel depends on whether an EGC was ran with the feeder or not. If there was an EGC, then the GEC would land on the EGC bar, if not, it would land on the neutral bar. In either case it shouldn't affect a GFCI.
Would you please show me a code reference that requires a grounding electrode at a separate structure? Art. 250.32 (ex.) excludes the G.E.S. if supplied by a single branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.