Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunny7

Not a simple question???? Since the City I'm working in does not allow grounding to the cold water pipes what is a GOOD alternative along with 2 grnd rods?????

B

bthielen

Re: Grounding

I've noticed it mentioned quite a bit about encasing electrodes in concrete. What is the reason for encasing the electrode in concrete? Has this proven to provide more reliable, lower impedence contact with earth somehow?

Bob

gunny7

Thanks! My thought was to connect to 2) #4 rebar in the footing run it up through the wall forms then to the grnd rods. The problem is getting the TRADES together. Thanks Gunny

benaround

gunny7,

In art. 250.52 it has seven kinds of grounding electrodes that are permitted for use. Check it out,it may save you some $$$$$$.

frank

ryan_618

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Originally posted by gunny7:
...the City I'm working in does not allow grounding to the cold water pipes...
:( :(
The American Water Works Association report "Effects of Electrical Grounding on Pipe Integrity and Shock Hazard" is catolouge number 90702, and can be obtained by calling 1-800-926-7337.

Several pages in that document will tell their side of the story.

I think we should bond them inside of the structure to prevent them from becoming energized, but I also think there should be a dielectric before the meter so that the underground poriton is not connected.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

bthielen
first reported by Eustace Ufer in 1963, his IEEE paper suggested a concrete encased electrode would be low cost, permanent, and offer low resistance.
the concrete footer has a large surface area in contact with the soil, concrete is conductive as it has a lot of ions, and absobs water.
Of the all the electorodes its the most cost effective when you consider it does not have to be supplemented with ground rods as a water pipe does.

B

bthielen

Thanks for the info. I have been reviewing past threads as well to get more understanding. What it basically seems to be is that by encasing the electrode in concrete, for all practical purposes, one is taking a small rod and growing it considerably thereby increasing its surface area as you have suggested. It is a more efficient means of grounding.

Bob

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by ryan_618:
The American Water Works Association report "Effects of Electrical Grounding on Pipe Integrity and Shock Hazard" is catolouge number 90702, and can be obtained by calling 1-800-926-7337.

Several pages in that document will tell their side of the story.
You give me way too much credit, in terms of motivation to actually dig for resources. :D

So what's it say? :D :D

stud696981

It sounds like this city doesn't follow the NEC. Last time I checked, if a metalic water pipe was available, it HAD TO BE USED.

Status
Not open for further replies.