grounding portable generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobBlakeslee

I just purchased a 3600 watt portable generator to power miscellaneous construction tools at job sites without electrical power. The generator manufacturer requires the unit be properly grounded ( 5/8" grounding rod, driven 8' into the earth and attached to the unit's frame with #8 solid bonding wire). I have been told this is not necessary for the type of equipment I will be powering (circular saws, table saws, miter saws, compressors, etc.) I know of several contractors who routinely use portable generators without grounding them. I would like to get some qualified professional advice about this.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Got a link to manufacturer's instructions?

While George pointed to the proper Code section (which doesn't require the rod), you may have to contend with 110.3(B) [requirement to follow instructions of listed or labeled products], especially if an accident occurs and OSHA visits the site.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is there a generator listing that violates 250.34? I'd be interested to see it.
How would adding a grounding electrode be a violation of 250.34. That section says the NEC does not require a grounding electrode. It does not prohibit the manufacturer from requiring one in the installation instructions and does not prohibit the installer from installing one if he wants to.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the generator is listed as an "Engine Generator for Portable Use (FTCN) the UL Guide Information (white book) says they must be connected as an SDS.

dereckbc

Staff member
My 2-cents worth is it is a 3600 watt generator tells me it is something like a portable Honda genny with GFCI receptacles. Adding a GR is a complete waste of material that does nothing, and is legal mumbo jombo CYA put in there by an ambulance chaser retained by the manufacture. The genny is not made to hard wire to premises wiring or has a gen snorkel. :p

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The OP said the genset is only supplying portable tools. The guide info you refer to is saying SDS only when supplying a building or structure.
Correct, my real point was that some are listed.

If you have a listed generator and the provided instructions call for a ground rod, that ground rod is required by 110.3(B).

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Is there a generator listing that violates 250.34? I'd be interested to see it.

How would adding a grounding electrode be a violation of 250.34. That section says the NEC does not require a grounding electrode. It does not prohibit the manufacturer from requiring one in the installation instructions and does not prohibit the installer from installing one if he wants to.

Correct, my real point was that some are listed.

If you have a listed generator and the provided instructions call for a ground rod, that ground rod is required by 110.3(B).

Don, "violate" was a poorly chosen word. I was thinking more along the lines of, "Does anyone have evidence of a generator that does not correspond with the provisions of 250.34 and do require a ground rod for portable loads?"

Given the code language and the utterly counterintuitive nature of driving a ground rod for a portable generator supplying portable loads, it seems unlikely any manufacturer would require such a thing.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here is part of the manual for one portable generator:
Generator must be grounded to prevent electrical shock from faulty appliances.
The system ground is not connected to the AC neutral wire. If using a receptacle tester, it will not show the same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle. (system ground is a terminal labeled "ground terminal" on the front of the generator)
How do you ground something with out a grounding electrode given the definition of "grounded" in Article 100 (2008 and newer codes)?

sandsnow

Here is part of the manual for one portable generator:

How do you ground something with out a grounding electrode given the definition of "grounded" in Article 100 (2008 and newer codes)?

So that portable generator is either not listed or UL has been remiss in their "duties".

Driving a ground rod and connecting to system ground terminal will do nothing. Assuming the neutral an system ground terminal is isolated as described in the instructions.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So that portable generator is either not listed or UL has been remiss in their "duties".
There is no requirement that portable generators be listed and I don't think too many of them are.
Driving a ground rod and connecting to system ground terminal will do nothing. Assuming the neutral an system ground terminal is isolated as described in the instructions.
Exactly, but they tell you to ground it without any details as to what that means.

sandsnow

kwired

Electron manager
There is no requirement that portable generators be listed and I don't think too many of them are.

Exactly, but they tell you to ground it without any details as to what that means.

Makes more sense if you just read the bold face text, if the generators were listed, instructions included in the listing will make more sense:happyyes:

Or at least we would like to think so - but common sense seems to get a different meaning every year as time goes by.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Status
Not open for further replies.