Grounding Pex Plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdy7821

Starting to see more Pex plumbing in new construction. When you have a well that comes into the house in plastic, into a holding tank and then to plastic to the remainder of the house
what is the proper to ground this.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Grounding Pex Plumbing

Every structure or building requires a grounding electrode system per 250.50. Plastic pipe is not considered a grounding electrode, and can't be used. Isolated metal stub outs are typically not bonded per 250.118, but may be if the AHJ requires it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Originally posted by erdy7821:
Code says to ground the water line within 6' of where the water enters the house.
Its 5 feet and only if the metallic water pipe has ten feet in contact with the earth. Otherwise its a bonding connection per 250.104 and can be made anywhere in the building. If its PEX then it can be bonded with a non-metallic clamp and non metallic conductor, such as green rope. :p

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Perhaps I missed something on the orginal post, I apologize. It may be the question being asked is how to bond the "holding tank". That would be a bonding connection sized per 250.104 and attached per 250.8. Sorry...we all picked up on grounding PEX tubing.

drg

Originally posted by erdy7821:
When you have a well that comes into the house in plastic, into a holding tank and then to plastic to the remainder of the house
what is the proper to ground this.
Again what have you doing all along ????

John

[ March 26, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: drg ]

wyatt

250.104 only requires the grounding of metal pipe
I see no requirement to bond pex cpvc or any other non metallic pipe if old service was grounded via water pipe then new ground must be made IAW article 250

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

OBVOIUSLY you are not required to "bond" the plastic pipe. However, you are required to install a bonding wire at the point where it converts from PVC to copper pipe and before any fittings such as hose bibs, etc. In addition, it should be sized according to the size of the largest service conductor ( sorry, I don't have my code book in front of me so I can't site the section).

websparky

Bonding Jumpers (conductors) vs. Grounding Electode Conductors

250.104 Bonding of Piping Systems and Exposed Structural Steel. (bonding NOT grounding)
Bonding within 5' refers to Grounding Electrode Conductors Only. (NOT bonding jumpers)
The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.
The size is per 250.66 unless you have Buildings of Multiple Occupancy or Multiple Buildings or Structures Supplied from a Common Service, then 250.122

Status
Not open for further replies.