Grounding Electrode Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

eng315

My question is:
what is the proper position of the grounding electrode for single family home.
Present configuration is :The service entrance is on one side of the building coming from underground.( Meter & Main Breaker) The service conductors pass through the wall into the building ,up the inside wall into the ceiling, secured with staples to the rafters across the building, down into the load center.
Also along with the conductors is the uninsulated copper ground wire which passes along with the conductors and is staples to the wood rafters passing through the opposite wall down back outside to a ground rod opposite the service entrance on the other side of the building.
I thought the ground rod should be placed within 6 feet of the service entrance?
And an uninsulated copper electrode wire should not be secured to wood rafters.

Deleted email reference. You may use the PM function to send messages. Dereck

[ November 01, 2004, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

hurk27

Re: Grounding Electrode Placement

This sounds like the electrician originally ran it to the remote panel and was made to rerun it to the service disconnect as required in 250.24 Which is a very bad design as far as lightning protection goes as I would want the run as short as possible and as little inside as possible. But as far as against code I can't find anything except for a Separately Derived System in 250.30(A)(4) which would not apply.

luke warmwater

Re: Grounding Electrode Placement

I agree with the others, but I would want the rod at the service disconnect (in this case, the meter/main) location, if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.