grounding electrode conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhayes

we are relocating a main distribution panel across a basement closer to where the service conductors enter the basement. we will need to extend the main grounding electrode conductor to this location as well. can this be run in the same conduit as a sub panel feeder od does it require its own conductor?

Thanks,

Mike H.

fc

Re: grounding electrode conductor

Does the MDP have a main for the building in it or do you have a main ouside the building or where the service conductor fist come into the building? I ask because you call it a sub panel.

mhayes

mdp has a main cb, however, we are trying to incorporate the gec into a feeder conduit to a sub panel located where the mdp was before the move.

fc

How is the GEC installed now? And are you asking if you can use the GEC as the EGC for the sub panel?

mhayes

no, just trying to use the sub panel feeder conduit as a route to the relocated mdp.

ryan_618

In my opinion, it could be installed in the same raceway, as long as it meets 250.64(E).

One question though...you said you are making the MDP closer to the service equipment.. Is this going to effect you available fault current enough to require new breakers? Something to think about...

jwelectric

Mr. Jackson has answered this question by giving the code reference. Now all that is left is to read it.

Mike asked about running the grounding electrode conductor with the feeders to the sub panel.

Ryan answered and augie47 asked about metal conduit. The answer that Ryan gave is still the correct answer.

If it is ran in EMT with the feeders then the EMT will be required to be bonded on both ends to the grounding electrode conductor with a bonding jumper the same size as the grounding electrode conductor.

George stated that the grounding electrode does not need protecting as outlined in 250,64 (B).

250.64 Grounding Electrode Conductor Installation. This will answer just about all these questions.
:)

benaround

mhayes,

In the 38 years that I've been in the trade,I've never seen the GEC installed within the same raceway as feeders.

I would be interested in hearing from other Members on this.

frank

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

no grits please :)
thank you jw thats why i asked the question..wasn't going to go through all the details unless it was metallic....

GENEM

I don't know what the sub panel is feeding but I would be hesitant to run the mdp gec with the sub panel feeders to avoid any problems which surges on the gec could cause.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

It seems logical to me that the feeder's EGC and the GEC can be the same conductor. Just keep the electrode landed at the sub-panel.

benaround

The whole thing is a violation of 250.24 A(1)

The connection shall be made at any accessible point from the load end of the service drop to and including the terminal or bus to which the grounded service conductor is connected at the service disconnecting means.

I think this rules out a metalic raceway for a sub panel.

frank

benaround

After bonding this GEC to the neutral,then to both ends of a feeder conduit,and a sub panel I would hope breakfast is not the only thing in mind. What is the differance between this GEC and the neutral conductor of the newly named sub panel? The GEC starts at the,water pipe,for example, then goes to the sub panel where it is bonded to the conduit which in turn bonds it to the enclosure thru the conduit and bonded agian at the main panel and then to the neutral bus, that's if it's not bare!!

frank

hurk27

BY Sam: What is the differance between this GEC and the neutral conductor of the newly named sub panel? The GEC starts at the,water pipe,for example, then goes to the sub panel where it is bonded to the conduit which in turn bonds it to the enclosure thru the conduit and bonded agian at the main panel and then to the neutral bus, that's if it's not bare!!
Because for one I think the code want's it to be close to where power enters a building (it's not good to invite lightning into a building) And if it's at the sub panel you would be requireing lightning to route all the way to that sub panel to get to the GE. I like mine in the meter. OUTSIDE! :D
Besides 250.24(A) say's so so there! :D

benaround

I also have doubts that the GEC from sub panel to electrode is in a raceway, violating 250.64(e).

breakfast?

frank

Status
Not open for further replies.