grounding electrode conductor taps

Status
Not open for further replies.
250.64(c) states that the GEC connot be spliced except by exothermic welding or irreversible compression connectors. The exception also states that sections of busbars may be connected together to to form a GEC. I am unclear on two things. First, where GEC taps meet the GEC, must those connections also be welded or irreversible or is, say, a setscrew splice block ok. Irreverible connection may be implied by 250.64(C) since the whole assebly, tap and all, could be considered the GEC, however in the handbook they specifically differentiate between the taps and the GEC in the picture.
Secondly, regarding the exception to 250.64(C), does this mean one can only extend a bus bar in the equipment where the GEC is to terminate but not use a buss bar in a j-box as a spice? Thanks, Ethan.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: grounding electrode conductor taps

Ethan,
First, where GEC taps meet the GEC, must those connections also be welded or irreversible or is, say, a setscrew splice block ok.
A splice block can't be used because the main GEC must remain without a splice. You can make the tap connection with a split bolt or other type of connector that does not require you to cut the main GEC.
Secondly, regarding the exception to 250.64(C), does this mean one can only extend a bus bar in the equipment where the GEC is to terminate but not use a buss bar in a j-box as a spice?
You cannot use the busbar to splice the GEC. This exception applies only when the busbar itself is the GEC.
Don

ryan_618

Hi Don. From the 2005, 250.64(C)(2)and(3):

(2) Sections of busbar shall be permitted to form the grounding electrode conductor.
I beleive this is what you where getting at earlier. The new section is section (3), which states:
Bonding jumpers from grounding electrode(s) and grounding electrode conductor(s) shall be permitted to be connected to an aluminum or copper busbar not less then (1/4"X 2"). The busbar shall be securley fastened and installed in an accessible location. Connections shall be made by a listed connector or irreversible welding proccess.
Edited for typos

[ December 11, 2004, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Ryan,
250.64(C)(2)is not really a change. It just put the wording from the exception in to normal code language. 250.64(C)(3) is a new section that does appear to permit the use of bus bar to splice GECs. I did miss that section when I said that you can't use bus bars to splice GECs.Why were the words "bonding jumpers from grounding electrodes" used in the new section? There is no restriction on splicing "bonding jumpers"
Don

pierre

I do not have my copy of the 05 here, but the wording, if correct, sounds like a situation brewing. Is it a bonding conductor or GEC? Two distinctly different conductors.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.